MediaCenter solution?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Litterbox, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Litterbox

Litterbox Private E-2

I'm building a media center out of scrap parts, and have been considering what to do about the operating system / software. So far, Windows Media Center seems to be the best, but I have noticed some things that worried me.

First of all, it doesn't support DivX/XviD? That right there would be enough to keep me from buying it, but I'm hopeful there's a work-around to get DivX working on it.

Secondly, my video card is an old ATI Rage128 ALL-IN-WONDER, and I didn't see it on the list of "supported video cards". Again, I've read about a few work-arounds, and am hopeful they'll get the job done, but scared about wasting the money on software that can't run on my hardware.

Is it worth spending all that money buying Windows Media Center? Would I even be able to run it with what I have, for what I want? If not, can you recommend an operating system / program that CAN, AND will work with a remote? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

If all your looking for is a remote control for your video center(vcr,tvstereo,etc)
    then your cheapest bet would be to get a pvr/tv card from a company(like hauppauge) the ones in the last couple of years come with a remote ---been using a real old one (tv card)w/ no problems --and the software for viewing and recording are very user freindly.
    Sounds like installing MC with your present setup is going to give ya headaches try a stable os (mabye one you already have)

Afewthougtsw/coffee

3. Litterbox

Litterbox Private E-2

Well, a remote isn't ALL I'm looking for. It's just that whatever I do get needs to be compatible with a remote.

I'm looking for a sort of program that will act as a media center for me to play my files from. Something full screen, and appealing. Easy to navigate from the computer. I thought about Meedio, but wasn't sure how that works, or if it does what I want. I downloaded the demo, and it had absolutely no features to test out. So, it was difficult to tell.

4. Litterbox

Litterbox Private E-2

Sorry for the double post, but I could NOT find the edit button. x:

Just wanted to clear something up:
    "Easy to navigate from the computer" should read "Easy to navigate from the TV."

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds