Mem Turbo

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deb, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Deb

Deb Private E-2

I am running Win XP and my machine is taking longer and longer to boot up when I log in. My mother-in-law suggested using Mem Turbo. She said the program helped her machine alot! I notice this site does not have the freeware version. Is there a freeware version that is similar that works as good or better with XP?

Any help would be appreciated!

Doin time in Walla Walla, WA.....Of course no in the Pen just down the road from it.

Living life to the fullest....Deb

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Think you'll find XP does not require memory programs.

If possible described the problem with a bit more detail.

For slow booting try these>

Correcting System Hang at Startup

If your system hangs about 2 or 3 minutes at startup, where you can't access the Start button or the Taskbar, it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background. Microsoft put out a patch for this but
    it didn't work for me. Here's what you do:

1. Go to the control panel/admin tools/.
    2. Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service, disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

Also if not on a network disable 'workstation' at the same place as above.

3. Deb

Deb Private E-2

patch

Thanks for the advice. I will check the patches out. I think our office manager already did that. I will talk to her tomorrow.

4. Deb

Deb Private E-2

more info

For clarification, there are four of us on one computer. We all have individual profiles and passwords. The machine sits with the blue screen and our names listed. From here when I put in my password I have to wait quite awhile before the icons are up and running.

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

BTW how much memory have you got?

XP likes at least 256mb.

6. Deb

Deb Private E-2

memory

I have at least 256K. I need to look further. Anyway, I just added Ad-aware and ran it. I had alot of Gator items running. There were 111 things that were found and deleted. The computer seems faster just after log in. Maybe that fixed it. I will work with it that way for awhile then I will try your idea. Thanks again!

7. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Deb. Another (and complimentary) app you should run is spybot it's available right here at MG too:) Spybot will pick up some stuff that Adaware misses and vice versa.

8. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

111???

Damn that's a lot. :eek:

9. Deb

Deb Private E-2

what?

I just ran the spybot and it found more. Wow.

10. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

I think you have found your problem. Be careful what you load from now on. :D

11. Deb

Deb Private E-2

thanks

thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds