Memory extra needed or not worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hateuall, Dec 11, 2006.

1. hateuall

hateuall Private First Class

I just got a gateway, it comes with 1GB total ram or 512MB x 2 more specifically. I do game some and more often burn, and convert some vids, do I need extra ram for this? I don't use my system for photography or anything like that but do the previously mentioned tasks dictate a need to upgrade my ram. If so should I mix a single 1GB with what I have already or add two more 512 mb sticks? Also does brand mixing really matter? I know I can fit 4 GB on 4 slots by the way.

2. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

It would be good to know specifics of your rams capabilities such as data rate, timings etc, however 1 gig of ram is a healthy amount for the requirements of most tasks that you ask of your computer these days.

Most mobo's don't like it when you mix up ram capacities (Mb) and brands, so it is very important that you research whats 'compatible' with your systems motherboards requirements, before you go and spend your hard-earned dollars on some extra modules.
    Placing incompatible ram modules in your system can cause all sorts of problems for your computer.

Regards...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds