memory issue trying to isolate problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrmarto, Oct 29, 2007.

1. jrmarto

jrmarto Private E-2

Have a Dell Inspiron 9700 running win xp pro, which is giving intermittant memory errors on boot. The system has the original two 512 memory chips. When I run Dell diagnostics with both chips in place, I get an immediate memory compare error. If i take out one chip and run Dell Diagnostics with only one chip in place, I get no errors, regardless of which chip is in place or which slot the chip is in. I have run longer memory diagnostics (memtest86 off of a UBCD) on each chip individually, 8 passes, and gotten no errors. If I continue testing the system with Dell diagnostics it comes up clean once it gets past the original memory error. Is this a memory problem or is this a motherboard issue, and how do I isolate which chip is the problem child if it is a memory issue? I don't have other known clean memory cards to test on the system.

Thanks for any input.

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Do you mean a Dell 9200 with ATI Radeon 9700 Graphics laptop?

If so, is it overheating because it needs internal cleaning?

4. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

John here, support analyst at Dell headquarters.

The only way to be sure with intermittent errors in this case is to swap RAM with a system that isn't having the problem. If the intermittent errors follow the RAM, then there's your problem.

Honestly, I would suspect the memory controller more than anything else, and that's motherboard. The only way to say with 100% certainty if the memtests aren't catching it is to swap the RAM though.

John
    Dell Customer Advocate

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds