Memory PC2700?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisjustinparr, Nov 14, 2005.

1. chrisjustinparr

chrisjustinparr Private E-2

Processor Speed: 2.6GHz
    Processor Type: Pentium 4 with 800MHz FSB
    RAM Type: PC2700 DDR-SDRAM
    RAM Standard: 512MB
    Level 2 Cache: 512KB Integrated On-Die Level 2
    Hard Drive Capacity: 120GB, 5400 rpm, Ultra-IDE hard drive
    CD ROM Speed: 48x CD-ROM drive
    Sound Card: On-the-motherboard 5.1 sound
    Video Card: BFG Geforce 6600 GT
    Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition

Can someone please explain to me what kind of memory I should upgrade to get =>1GB? Do I have options and can someone recommend the best value RAM for me? I am an FPS gamer and I would like something that's not too expensive, but that isn't bargain bin crap.

2. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

The manual for your motherboard should tell you how much memory that mobo can support. That varies with the make and model of motherboard, so I doubt that anyone can offer much help unless we know exactly what mobo you're working with.

A fast answer: Google the mobo model number. As often as not, that will be enough to take you to the manufacturer's site (or another) that will tell you all you need to know.

Another possibility -- use the tool available on Crucial's site. It's at <http://www.crucial.com/>. BTW -- lots of people seem to think that Crucial and Kingston make the best memory. I've never had a reason to argue with that.

PC2700 memory sometimes isn't all that easy to find, but PC3200 is in plentiful supply (at least, where I am). The latter may be cheaper than PC2700, and should work just fine. But -- some computers may object to having both speeds installed. You may have to replace the existing memory rather than add to it if you can't get an exact match for what's there -- or if you have no available slots for more memory.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds