Memory Pin Compatability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dan_The_Man, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

A couple years ago I built myself a system using DFI's Lanparty Ultra-D UT NF4 Motherboard. It didn't take me long to realize that all those great specials of 240Pin 1Gb memory sticks that hit the market about a year ago did not apply very well to my mobo since the one I have only supports 168Pin memory sticks (Might have been 16-something else, but it wasn't 240).

What is the difference between 240 and less/more pins supported on the memory?

Since the 168 pin memory costs something like $100/stick, and 240 pin sticks go for less than $30 (1Gb sticks), proportionately I would save much more getting a new board that supports 240pin so I can bump up to 4Gb of memory or even 8 for that matter for a much cheaper price. Unfortunately now when I look up the specs on motherboards all I get is something like: "DDR2-1200*/1066/800/667 MHz, ECC, non-ECC and un-buffered memory." This tells me absolutely nothing about the compatability...

now maybe I'm just out of date with my readings and what I recognize, but have all memory been made compatible? If the pins are written, but what standard can I know that one type of memory stick will fit on my Asus mobo?

I hope that made sense...in answering my questions you may find there is a problem I have overlooked, or something I'm not realizing completely out of the picture.

Thanks in advance...I'm really stubbed on this one.

Dan

2. monkeytoys

monkeytoys Private E-2

this should help explain

wiki on ddr ram

you have ddr which is 184 pin. the newer is ddr2 with 240pin. there is now ddr3 but it's more expensive at the moment. if you read the wiki, you'll have a better understanding. if you have a ddr mobo, you have to stick with ddr ram. you cannot use ddr2 in it.

if you were to buy a new mobo, asus for example has a qualified vendor list which tells you what type of ram can be used.

for the less technical, you may want to pick a vendor, eg kingston, crucial, corsair, ocz,...etc. most of them will allow you to input your mobo and they will list their modules which are compatible.

some online retailers will have combos and/or indicate which modules are compatible

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds