Memory stick

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by simonb04, Jun 4, 2009.

1. simonb04

simonb04 Private E-2

Hi all
    could you please tell me why a memory stick that worked on my old pc using windows xp now is not recognised on my new dell laptop which uses windows vista
    Please advise how i can access my memory stick
    Thanks
    Simon

2. sheepondrugs

sheepondrugs Private First Class

when you plug the usb stick in, does it show anything on the computer?

does the light on the usb stick flash?

3. earlwhite05

earlwhite05 Private First Class

yes.....what sheep said..........but i dont see why it wont recignize b/c i have a 4 gig flash stick and i swap files between a computer running visa ultimate and a computer running xp as well whats the name of your flash stick and how big is it???:major

4. simonb04

simonb04 Private E-2

guys
    the stick works fine on my sons dell pc running windows xp
    It doesnt even get recognised on my dell laptop running windows vista
    its a 16gb stick
    cant rember what brand
    when its plugged into my laptop it has no lights showing no flickering no nothing
    please help

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Does anything else work when you plug it in to that USB port? If it does, test that USB stick in every other port on the laptop, and do it when the laptop runs off of AC power. It might be set to turning off the USB ports to save battery.

Basically, if the stick works on every other computer and not this one, find out what's wrong with this computer. ;)

6. simonb04

simonb04 Private E-2

Every thing else works in all its usb ports
    it works on battery and mains
    its just this memory stick that doesnt seem to want to work on my laptop.
    this memory stick is doing my head in

7. earlwhite05

earlwhite05 Private First Class

ok just as a quick thought.......if u can find the manufacturer of the stic.....go on line and see if they offer a driver that might help with this problem......just a thought.hope this helps.:confused:major

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The only drivers for USB sticks are for windows 98. I know because I have over 20 USB sticks in the house and I was running windows 98.

What is the brand and model of the stick? I want to see if it has "speed boost" and/or U3 software. Either of those might create a problem.

9. Mimsy

Oh, and does the USB stick show up in Disk Management? (Right-click computer, select Manage, and wait for the window to open and finish scanning. Then expand Storage and click on Disk Management.) The USB stick might not be correctly labeled, if it's there, so look for an external disk with the right capacity.

10. Trussman

Trussman Private First Class

By chance could this memory stick be old enough that it's it's not Vista capatible

11. Mimsy

Nah, USB is backwards compatible. It might be old enough to be dead, but it works on other computers, so I doubt that.

12. simonb04

simonb04 Private E-2

Hi guys and gals
    thanks for all the replies
    This stick is still causing me huge probs and not working on my vista powered laptop
    still works on all other computers
    every thing else works on my vista laptop
    Web cam
    other sticks
    phones
    you name it it all works on here
    I have no idea what brand the stick is
    do u think if i was to put it into one of my other computers with xp on and format it it might work on my vista laptop??
    :confused

13. Mimsy

It's certainly worth a try. Make sure you format it in NTFS. :)

14. simonb04

simonb04 Private E-2

Hi all
    i have news
    I have formatted my memory stick on one of my sons computers which runs xp
    i have now put the memory stick into my dell laptop and it still is not recognised.
    However i now believe the stick is a realtek memory stick 16gb i think
    so can someone tell me how to make my dell laptop running vista recognise my meory stick
    Thanks
    Simon

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds