Memory stick

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bazza08, Jul 23, 2013.

1. bazza08

bazza08 Private E-2

Hello Guys
    I have a problem with a Lexar Twist and turn memory stick, when I plug it in I hear the usual sound for a USB device, but it does not show up in My Computer. In device manager it shows up as a mass storage device see image 1, and in disk management it shows as Disk 2 Removable (F) No Media, see image 2 and I have also put an image of the properties in disk management image 3, I have also tried to format it using Diskpart with no luck.

Is there anyone can tell me how to make thin thing usable again or is it CUD

Thanks for any help
    Bazza08

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

At times I have noticed that Windows can become confused when multiple USB memory drives are plugged in (or just random), but Windows looses the drive letter, thus this device may not show in Computer without a drive letter.

quick thing to try is Open Device Manager up and then open the Universal Serial Bus Controllers branch up and then plug in your Memory stick, you should see a USB Mass Storage Device reference, right click uninstall this, then pop out your memory stick and then replace it and the drivers should re-install, then check My Computer for the device.

Is there any data on this drive or is it new?

If new then in Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management, right click the devices reference and choose mark partition as active and/or format as well.

Try a different USB port and PC if possible?

3. bazza08

bazza08 Private E-2

Hello Dave
    Sorry I have taken so long to rely been away on holiday. I have tried all you suggested, there is data on this stick but not important stuff.
    Tried the Admin Tools as you can see from picture two it shows up as Disk 2 Removable (F:) but when i right click on it all that is in the dropdown is
    Change drive letter or paths
    Eject (which is greyed out)
    Properties
    Help
    When I click on Properties this is what I get (see pictures 4 to 8)
    Thanks
    Bazza

Attached Files:

• 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      34.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      40.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      39 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      45.1 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      33.8 KB
      Views:
  4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

No probs, hope it was a good holiday.

I would try the below and only have that Lexar in the USB ports.

By Uninstalling it from Device Manager, its driver will be uninstalled and then recreated on next plug in of the Lexar drive, this should fix any corruption in Windows listing the device in My Computer.

5. bazza08

bazza08 Private E-2

Hi David
    Thanks for getting back so quickly, I did exactly what you suggested but no joy, when i plug it into a different usb slot it comes back up as USB Mass Storage device (see pic1)
    And pic 2 to 4 are the properties

Bazza

Attached Files:

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What is a usb memory bar usb and why did 2 lexar 4GB usb jump drives read as this?

Answer: This is caused by a failure or malfunction in the USB controller chip. It causes the Memory chip to not be read by the operating system as a storage space, appearing only as an empty "removable disk" like a floppy drive with no disk in it.
    Generally no fix for this, return under warranty.

7. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

Presumably this refers to the USB controller chip in the PC, and the memory chip in the memory stick ? So if Bazza uses a different computer (with presumably a functioning USB controller chip), his Lexar memory stick should work ? (unless I have got this wrong and the USB controller chip is in the memory stick and it is fault common to Lexar USB memory sticks, jump drives, thumb drives, flash drives, or whatever they're called)

Dumb_Question
    1.August.2013
    Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
    Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
    Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
    RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700
    PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

No, not in the PC, on the stick.
    [​IMG]

9. bazza08

bazza08 Private E-2

Hello Guys
    Thank you for all your help with this Lexar P.O.S.
    I think it is time to just throw it in the bin and forget about it
    Thank you all again

Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds