memory sticks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by videogurl, Jan 25, 2006.

1. videogurl

videogurl Corporal

How can you tell how big a memory stick is just by looking at it?

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Post a pic......and the #s on the chips......

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The older sticks you used to be able by reading the silkscreening. The newer ones it is harder.

4. videogurl

videogurl Corporal

Ok here's the sticks...front and back.

Attached Files:

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

They are out of a old Compaq, probably 84pin 32mb sticks. No use for them, unless you have an old Pent. I, or 486 machine.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Correction, 168pin PC100 32 or 64mb sticks.

8. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Thats what it looks like to me :).....

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Did some searching and found this out:

COMPAQ 262261-002 32M 60nS EDO 144pin SODIMM f/Armada. 271108-002. COMPAQ. COMPAQ 271108-002 16M Sync. 66MHz Non-Reg

Also found this out about what machine it came out of:
    http://www.thinkcp.com/helpguide/specific.asp?Model=516

Now who wants to buy me dinner. You know this was kinda fun, I have some old hardware laying around.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  10. videogurl

videogurl Corporal

Hey thanks Brownizs. Great you had fun. Actually one of those sticks was out of that Compaq computer. Just wanted to know what they were. I put 2 32's in it and it read that it was 80 mb mem. In another machine I put the same sticks in it and it read 64mb. What's the deal on that? Any idea on what the other one is? 32 mb?

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What are the machines in question? The Bios should say if they are EDO or SDRAM, and most likely one may be 32mb, and the other may be 64mb. I even tried to look up the Compaq part#47015 on HP TechZone and could not come up with anything.

Actually, in the one machine that stated 80mb, did it already have a stick in it or onboard RAM (16/32/32)? That would make it 80mb.

12. videogurl

videogurl Corporal

oh cool yeah i guess so. might have onboard ram. didn't know that. thanks.

13. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I kinda drifted out on that last post, and just realized it. Some of the older machines came with onboard 8, 16, or 32mb onboard RAM, but included two slots for additional RAM.

14. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds