Memory Upgrade Causes Electronic Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gheuett, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Gheuett

Gheuett Private E-2

Hi,

We have a Sony Vaio PCV-RS310 running XP - SP3

The system came with 256 Mg RAM - PC-2100 DDR - 266MHZ and is capable of handling up to two 512 sticks of the same. The system was slow but once SP3 came down it is crawling.

I purchase two new Corsair 512 sticks of the same specs as the original and installed. The memory and the system work fine except the fact that any sound produced by the system is just a loud electronic buzz. This happens anytime either or both of the sticks are present in the system. It is not intermittent and if I remove the new sticks and put the old back, the sound works fine.

I've tried re-seating, moving them around etc. after a couple of back and forth e-mails, Sony's support has been limited to sending the "how to install memory" document so I'm not sure we'll get real far there.

Thanks for any ideas. I thought in general that memory pretty much either worked or it didn't but maybe we're hitting new gremlin ground here. Like I say as memory it works great - no errors and is showing 1024K so I know its there and accessible. The system runs much better. I checked in the Vaio setup itself for any settings that might be a clue but really didn't see anything there but I did wonder if maybe the BIOS needs upgrading. The current revision is 1003.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks!
    Gib Heuett

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

To me this sounds like a standard driver conflict, caused by quadrupling the amount of memory in your system. Try reinstalling the sound driver, preferably while you are in Safe Mode, and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, add as much infomration as you can about your hardware setup in your next post, and we'll start digging deeper.

3. Gheuett

Gheuett Private E-2

Thank you! I dowloaded and installed a newer driver and that did the trick.

Appreciate the help!
    Gib Heuett

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Sweet! Enjoy the sound. :) Glad I could help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds