Memory upgrade on Acer 5100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SnowFalcon, Jan 28, 2011.

1. SnowFalcon

SnowFalcon Private E-2

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You can go to crucial.com and have them scan your system to tell you the correct type and amount of RAM that your system will hold.

3. SnowFalcon

SnowFalcon Private E-2

yeah that should do :-D

I had a feeling that was it. Anyways, nice to have confirmation to be on the safe side

4 gigs is the limit.

4. TimW

It should also tell you how many slots you have so you can decide the size of the sticks you want to install.

5. SnowFalcon

SnowFalcon Private E-2

I know there are two slots total each can have upto 2 gigs of ram each

2 sticks are the limit

6. TimW

What do you have installed now? Are you planning on just getting two matched 2 gig sticks?

7. SnowFalcon

SnowFalcon Private E-2

512 mb x 2 DDR2 PC2-5300 SODIMM 200 pin 555

and I plan on getting 2 1 gig sticks and I will be buying them at the sametime so the memory is matched.

I've upgraded memory on my desktop before but this is my first time at a laptop

8. TimW

Why not buy a pair of 2gig sticks? You currently have 1gig of memory, but it will handle 4gigs. That way you aren't just going from 1gig to 2gig's but to the max of 4gigs. Unless it is a question of cost, I would go for the max. JMO. ;) Then you would have no problem with upgrading to win7.

9. SnowFalcon

SnowFalcon Private E-2

I want to upgrade to seven. That's why I'm upgrading the memory.

The thing is when I run the advisor it says it can handle 32 bit but I'm not sure it can handle 64 bit.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate for both 32 and 64 bit.

Not unless getting four gigs will benefit even if it is 32 bit?

10. TimW

Then I would definitely install the 4 gigs and install win7 32 bit. ;)

11. SnowFalcon

SnowFalcon Private E-2

I just installed four gigs onto my laptop with Patriot Memory dual channel PSD22G6672S I found 2 memory modules on sale for 32 dollars a piece. Deal :-D 2 gb per module equaling to 4 gigs total.

It recognized 3.45g of memory even though it says 4 gb installed. That's okay. It's made Vista super fast. I am floored at on much it makes a difference on speed. It's insane :-D

12. SnowFalcon

SnowFalcon Private E-2

opps double post sigh

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds