Memory/Video Card Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thegame14, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Thegame14

Thegame14 Private E-2

I recently installed Civ 4 on my computer. When I try to play the game I get a message that says my computer is below recommened specs. The graphics setting were altered to accomodate this, however, you may experience performance issues. The game takes a long time to start up, which makes playing it near impossible. I have a Dell Dimension 8200. 1.8Ghz CPU, 256 RDRAM, Nvidia GeForce2 MX video card, 80 GB Hard drive 13GB Free Space. Do I need to upgrade both the RAM and the video card? If so would adding an extra 512MB RDRAM be enough? Any suggestions for a video card?

Thanks

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

This is what their site says:

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System:
    Windows® 2000/XP
    Processor:
    1.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor or equivalent
    Memory:
    256 MB RAM (Windows 2000) / 512 MB RAM (Windows XP)

Hard Disk Space:
    1.7 GB Free

CD-ROM Drive :
    4X Speed

Video:
    DirectX 9.0c-compatible 64 MB video card with Hardware T&L support ( GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)

Sound:
    DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card

DirectX®:
    DirectX® version 9.0c (included) or higher

Recommended System Requirements

Operating System:
    Windows® 2000/XP
    Processor:
    1.8 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor or equivalent

Memory:
    512 MB RAM

Hard Disk Space:
    1.7 GB Free

CD-ROM Drive :
    4X Speed

Video:
    128 MB Video Card w/ DirectX 8 support (pixel & vertex shaders)

Sound:
    DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card

DirectX®:
    DirectX® version 9.0c (included) or higher

3. Mikal

Mikal Private E-2

I'd advise you to upgrade the RAM definately, even for future purpose... Adding another 512MB would be fine. Try that and see how your game runs, cause there's no point upgrading the graphics card if you dont need to, unless you want and/or have the money to in which case I would.

4. Thegame14

Thegame14 Private E-2

I am planning on adding another 512MB. I don't see the point of adding 1GB, because I know that I will need a new computer in 2 years. So I should start with the RAM?

5. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Yes as 512Mb is the minimum requirement for the game and you only have 256Mb (and I'm assuming you're running XP)

6. Mikal

Mikal Private E-2

^What he said :D

7. Thegame14

Thegame14 Private E-2

I think I have either 200 or XP. How can I check?

8. Mikal

Mikal Private E-2

Quick way... Control Panel > System... Then in the general tab (should pop up first) it should have your OS system

But if your interested in finding out more of your computer specs then you should download Everest at http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html ... It is a very handy piece of kit to have aswell.

9. Thegame14

Thegame14 Private E-2

yeah, it is XP. Do I need a new video card also, or should I start with the 512MB of Ram and see how the game reacts to that?

10. Mikal

Mikal Private E-2

Start with the RAM and see how the game responds... You mentioned you might need to get a new PC in a few years anyways so you may aswell wait till then to get a new one, assuming the RAM will fix the problem. But, as I mentioned a few posts back, if you have the money to buy a new graphics card then by all means do so, it can only benefit you... But please, if you do... Make sure it is compatable with your Motherboard! :)

11. Thegame14

Thegame14 Private E-2

I know that I need to get more RAM, but it is RDRAM, which is more expensive, but it does have re-sale value. I would like to avoid a new video card because it doesn't have as much resale value and when I buy a new computer, I won't need it. Does anyone know a good place to buy RDRAM?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds