Memory??? What Plug/cable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Meekiecheese, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Meekiecheese

Meekiecheese Private First Class

Hi All! :)

After a month of hell trying to figure out what was going on with my computer and discovering it was the power supply and almost successfully installing the correct one (long long long story) MYSELF! Yeah! :) I apparently have one more thing to adjust before my baby is totally healed.

Is there a power supply cable that is supposed to be plugged into the the motherboard or memory (256) card somewhere and which cable is it? :eek:

I am very, very low in geekdom, but other than the fact that I am running on 63 MB of RAM, my computer is working fine. I know I plugged in the cables to the motherboard, HD, CD-ROM and the floppy drive. What else do I need to do and how do I do it? THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!! You all have helped me so much and I have learned so very much here!!! oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

The computer is a HP XG-833 and the OS is Windows ME. The power supply is one of the small ones, 230 W. Let me know if you all need any more info and thanks again!

2. padams

padams First Sergeant

There should be a plug coming out of the power supply that looks different than all the other plugs. there may even be two of them. Do you see them?

3. pari22

pari22 Corporal

Yes, you need to plug power into motherboard - IT NEEDS POWER!
    No, you don't need to plug anything into memory - It does not have any.
    When you look at the power supply in hand, you will see that all the other plugs have 4 pins - these go to Hard drive, cd rom... and there should be smaller plug that goes into floppy drive. And then, you will see a big one with alot of pins (20 to be exact) that is rectangular with a release tag.
    THAT one goes into motherboard.

4. Meekiecheese

QUOTE: "I know I plugged in the cables to the motherboard, HD, CD-ROM and the floppy drive. What else do I need to do and how do I do it?"

The 20 pin cable IS plugged into the motherboard.

What could be causing my memory to go from 319 to 63 MB RAM??? What and how do I adjust it? I've seen the memory card in the motherboard, it has 256 MB Memory printed on it IF my memory is correct. :) That's what made me think I needed to plug one of those extra cables into the motherboard somewhere.

Thanks again for any and all help and replies! :)

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Mismatched ram, or not seated completely into the slot ...are the locking pins seated for the ram?

6. Meekiecheese

Tim - What do you mean by "mismatched RAM"? What are the "locking pins" and what do you mean by "are the locking pins seated for the RAM?" I've never done this before. Please re-read my first post. I plugged in all those cables in the right places, there were about 3 left that didn't seem to be needed. The only problem I am experiencing is low RAM when I should have more. I ran the antivirus (AVG - Free) and it was clean. Anything else I need to check. Please give me details and "baby talk" me thru this. I am a real novice, but handy. THANKS!!! :)

7. TimW

8. Meekiecheese

Tim - I was gonna wait until I had read the whole page, but I couldn't wait to THANK you for this link!!!!!!! I really, really appreciate it! I can now see the light at the end of this dark tunnel of trouble we've been in this past month (using those public computers is such a drag) and best of all . . . I won't have to tell my sister "her" computer was "broken" for a while. It will be our little secret. :)

I will finish reading and report back later! THANKS AGAIN!!! OXOXOXOXOX

9. TimW

You're more than welcome ....let us know if you need anything else.:) :)

10. Meekiecheese

EUREKA!!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! :)

Up and running with no problems! After I re-set the memory card and re-set the cables (it had started acting crazy and doing some weird things . . . ) it FINALLY got back to its old self!!! YEAH, Kudos and many, many THANKS to you all and thank you again for this website. God richly bless you all and have a wonderful weekend!

Happy Meekie!!! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds