MEMORY_MANAGEMENT Win7 BSOD FYI

Discussion in 'Software' started by lbmest, Nov 18, 2010.

1. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

In my particular case -
    Motherboard - ASUS P6T Deluxe Version 1
    RAM - 12 GB consisting of two 6 GB kits Corsair TR3X6G1600C9
    Operating System - Win7 Ultimate 64 bit

After warranty replacement of motherboard, only 8 GB of RAM was recognized in BIOS and OS while CPU-Z program verified the entire 12 GB was installed.
    Started getting the above mentioned BSOD at irregular intervals. After examing the mini-dump, the suggested solution was to disable the Nvidia 3D driver.
    This did not stop the BSODs.
    After running Memtest on the individual sticks of RAM, which all passed with no errors, I noticed I had mixed the kits together in the process of reinstalling the motherboard.
    After grouping the individual kits together by serial number and replacing in like colored RAM slots, BIOS recognizes 12 GB and the BSODs have stopped.
    This is my main folding rig so the CPU has been maxed on all 8 cores, 24/7 for better than a week now with no further problems.

The X58 boards seem to be particularly finicky when it comes to large amounts of RAM, so this may be one trouble-shooting step if you have this problem.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Good to know. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds