Memtest 4.0 results interpretation??? tutorial?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Apr 25, 2010.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

hmm... I'm running Memtest 4.0 on an ill system and its finding why its ill...
    I'm hunting all over the website for the most obvious thing: how to read the results!!! ??????
    I have errors galore, painting the screen, but which Mem/DDR is it that is flunking? none of the columns I can read suggest "DDR position" or "Slot 0', or similar... I need to know which component to junk.

thx
    zapp

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The minute you get an error - this tells you one or more RAM sticks are bad. No need to interpret anything. If all was well, you would get no errors.
    You pull all but one stick and run the test. If you get an error, pull that stick and put in another. Keep doing this until you've isolated the good sticks (no errors) and those get put back in the computer.

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

yep, that's what I finally figured out. Found it. from Dell, no less.... bad/bad/bad stick. all others check out All Green :)
    sending it back for replace
    thanks much for response

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

It is too bad that It can't be narrowed down to which slot as I have a tough time moving them around, let alone if one has a big cooler and/or a big video card. I wonder if memtest86+ has addressed this issue as I haven't used it in years. Hey, it might be worth a shot before one starts ripping things out to get at the memory.

5. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

i thought/think that Memtest 4.0 is the next/reloaded of the original memtest, and the current issue. that's what I used.
    let it run a few hours on each stick. found the culprit. the system was not 'in production' so it was not a big deal to leave it awhile.

the microsoft test is pretty fast. not sure what its rep is

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds