merci bien/gracias

Discussion in 'Software' started by Machiavel, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Machiavel

Machiavel Private E-2

This goes out to those individuals who offered me a few encouraging words. I heard them, thanks.
    Machiavel

2. Machiavel

Machiavel Private E-2

Logic-Offbase or Onbase

My logic is telling me that I should be ticked-off. I am unsure of the correctness in my feelings. Since this is my first computer system and I may be way out in left field.
    Situation:
    On October 25, 2004. I bought a brand new computer system with Windows XP Home Edition SP2 already installed. On April 23, 2005. I was able to restore my computer to April 10, 2000. I feel that the computer outfit, which must remain nameless for now, sold me a new system with an old hard drive they did not wipe clean or the installed software has a registry dating back quite some time.
    If I am wrong in thinking along these lines, please correct me. At the same time, could someone please tell me how in the world a new computer, owned by no other human being, bought in the year 2004 can be restored to the year 2000.
    April 10, 2000 to April 23, 2005 is five (5) years and thirteen (13) days. I just do not understand how this can be.
    Thanks everyone.
    Machiavel

3. Diet of Nothing

Diet of Nothing Private E-2

Windows XP wasn't released until 2001.

I'm afraid that there really is no way for you to restore your system to a date prior to when the OS was released.

4. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Very interesting. Maybe the clock wasn't set right when the PC was bieng configured and a "generic" restore point was created. Then when the clock was set, the restore point moved itself to the date that corresponded to the new date setting?
    I am also curious as to how this can be. :confused:

5. Machiavel

Machiavel Private E-2

You know partner, I admit openly and honestly that I am very new at computers and the what-fores that make them operate as they do. I am seeking help, information, and someone who may know what is happening with my computer. By insinuating that I have no honor is merely a repressed reflection in a quagmire swamp of stagnet dreams.

6. Machiavel

Machiavel Private E-2

I don't know what's happening with this thing. I just feel that I may have been taken-and if thats the case. Well, I am anger of course but I am also hurt. But anyway, thanks for your reply and taking me at my word.
    Sincerely Machiavel.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Machiavel,

I think RayDunne is right. There must have been a date mismatch some time back. Restore points are never kept for that long anyway.

Probably just a simple date mismatch. Aside from the suspicions of foul play, are you having any computer problems?

8. Machiavel

Machiavel Private E-2

Well, I have been doing my homework and I fell confident that I can successfuly reformat my hard-drive. Clean slate-reinstall win~xp home. But thats the rub, is it not? Clean old hard-drive which now accepts and functions with good software.-OR-,Clean new hard-drive that does not function due to corrupt software. If I catch your drift, you are telling me that both hard-drive and software could be fine. I will now find out what the heck you people mean about clocks. Here laugh, I am. I feel like the village idiot in Geek Land.
    Thanks people
    Machiavel

9. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Hang in there, there's only one way to learn. It will come well in time.
    Your hardware is probably fine. Your software is also probably fine. I wouldn't go reformatting over this. If your system boots up and things work OK other than this restore point issue, simply shutdown System Restore, reboot your PC and then turn System Restore back on and create a new Restore Point :)
    If you need assistance in doing tthis, simply post back with request and It will be done.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I sent you a PM :)

11. Machiavel

Machiavel Private E-2

caught off guard

I think the happy birthday is computer generated ( are you smiling ) It caught me off guard. I had forgotten. I was reminded. The jesst. It is remarkable that I feel kindly towards Major Geeks, in that MG is intangable but always has a ring of truth to it.
    Thank You
    Machiavel

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Re: caught off guard

Happy birthday ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds