messed up 3d full screen, fine in windowed mode?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hoji, Sep 15, 2005.

1. hoji

hoji Private E-2

i got myself a AGP geforce 6600 gt, it works fine with quakeIII, doom III...
    however, in morrowind and wow, in fullscreen mode the textures and fonts tears wildly and are out of place, models seems to be fine. when i run these games in windowed mode it looks perfect.

i downloaded the newest drivers for my motherboard and the latest nvidia drivers, and it still happens.
    also my nvidia properties claims that the card is running on 2x AGP bus, i checked my bios and it is set up as 4x. installed almost every via agp driver i could get my hands on...same thing

Really hope somebody can help me out.
    Thanx in advance.

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

what brand vid card is it? i have found that i get better results when i use the manufacturer's drivers rather than the nvidia generic drivers...also, directx should be up to date ( im sure those games install the latest version)
    are you sure the card can run at 4x? just curious, im sure most all 8x cards do.
    is it possible to install that card on someone else's computer to check the 2x/4x issue?

3. hoji

hoji Private E-2

its a gigabyte GV-N66T128D...i basically reinstalled winXP thinking that it might be directx itself, installed all the manufaturers drivers/dx9...now morrowwind is tearing even in windowed mode...the card is running cool...soundblaster live is hotter than the geforce
    i'm gonna take the card to a friend tonight to check it out...he's got the same geforce so that'll clear some things up. also noticed that my old graphics card CAN run in AGP4x but never did with my motherboard.
    got a stinking feeling i'll just have to get a new motherboard.... memory ....CPU .....allmost nothing for my old PC :( .
    o well.
    thanks for the advice

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

what model is your motherboard?and what are the rest of your system specs?

5. hoji

hoji Private E-2

my motherboard....
    card works fine on my friend and dads PC.
    seems it doesn't like the VIA Apollo Pro series Pentium3 motherboards.
    :(

6. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

You should do a search on how to tweak morrowmind and wow, I'm betting that if you disable a certain effect your problems will go away. Also you check advanced chipset properties in the bios and switch on/off fast writes,and disable any caching.

7. hoji

hoji Private E-2

i'll try that, but it's all directx9 games...or stuff that uses pixel shader. od that it works fine in windowed mode.with older drivers windowed mode also wreaks havok.
    but it's about time i upgraded anyway, P3-866 simply don't cut it anymore. wish i could see how the P3 1.4 GHz cpu runs first but suppose i'll go P4 hyperthreading and all.
    i'll quickly check the bios tweaks u mentioned and post anyway.
    thanks

8. hoji

hoji Private E-2

nogo...
    sure P4 will

9. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

you should check other posts....most people on here think amd64 is the way to go...not p4

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds