MGTools issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by mmello, May 19, 2013.

1. mmello

mmello Private E-2

I'm running MGTOOLS to resolve a malware issue, but it's been 2 days that it is scanning and it is going really slow. It stays on: -----------------finding copies of explorer.exe and will probably take another 8 hours to move to the next finding... what can be the issue?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Please post the make and model of your computer and the OS you're running along with any service packs so the experts can start to determine a solution.

3. mmello

mmello Private E-2

My computer does not hav a brand, it is an Intel Duo Core 2.66ghz 4.00GB and I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1

4. mdonah

I'm presuming then that it's a custom PC. Is there any way you could supply more information about it. With just the processor type and speed, the amount of RAM and the OS (is it 64 bit?), there isn't a whole lot for the experts to work with.

5. mmello

mmello Private E-2

I've gave the information that was asked me on the previous post, What exactly do I need to provide in order to troubleshoot it?

6. mmello

mmello Private E-2

What else should i inform in order for you to troubleshoot?

7. Norgates

Norgates Corporal

If the MG Tools are taking 2 days to scan, you might need to ask in Malware if they can advise you. Normally the scan takes at most a few minutes. It may not be the MG Tools that are the problem, however, the information that your computer is hanging on the MG Tools scan could most valuably be used by the one who created the tools.

8. mmello

mmello Private E-2

Malware support told me to troubleshoot on this page... btw, who created the tool?

9. mdonah

Major Geeks created the tool in 2007.

Here's a link for instructions. If you're running another AV while running MGTools, you need to disable it.

10. mmello

mmello Private E-2

I followed the instructions, and even uninstalled my AVG...

11. mdonah

AVG, like Babylon is hard to remove from your computer once it's installed.

If you only used Add/Remove Programs or AVG's standard uninstaller, there are remnants left behind and THEY could be what's causing your issues with MGTools.

There's an AVG Remover tool that's available.

12. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , what is your machine specs ? Download this tool

http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html

follow the process :

from left column choose
    Summary ( wait 30 seconds until report generated )

from bar menu select :

File
    Save as Text file

choose desktop as saving location

follow this process to post your machine type report

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

even as mdonah told you before AVG is an nightmare to uninstall completely , you can go to C:\Program Files\AVG removing any file about AVG also you can download this tool

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/revo_uninstaller.html

for any leftovers of the AVG :wave

13. mmello

mmello Private E-2

Here it is my specs

Attached Files:

14. mmello

mmello Private E-2

Should I remove the other softwares like spybot etc as well?

15. mdonah

I took a look at the attached report and saw that Microsoft Security Essentials was running as well. Yes, remove Spybot or disable it for the time being as well as remove MSE by Add/Remove programs since there's no way to quit MSE.

When you re-install your antivirus, only use one AV program like MSE. Having more than one AV program running on your computer results in conflicts and makes the protection less effective.

MSE updates it's virus database very regularly — in fact, sometimes twice in one day (I know because I'm running MSE on my computer).

16. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

17. mmello

mmello Private E-2

Hy guys, uninstalled MES and all the others... but MGTOOLS stills get stuck on this. see attached

Attached Files:

18. mmello

mmello Private E-2

Any other suggestion?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds