Microsoft Access 2002 issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by twinmms, Aug 24, 2010.

1. twinmms

twinmms Private E-2

My agency has a small windows 2000 network. I have a user that for some reason (?) had Access '97 on her machine while all other Office applications were 2000. Until recently she never had a need to use Access, so I'm not sure why Access was on her machine to begin with. Anyway, regardless of why it was even there, I decided to remove both previous Office versions and install Office XP on her machine. Everything seemed to go smoothly until she tried to use Access. Whenever she starts Access and attempts to open a db (any db), she gets the following message: "Microsoft Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for any inconvenience". At first I suspected database corruption, but as I said, I found out rather quickly that this occurs with ANY database she attempts to open. No other users of any of our databases experience any issues whatsoever.

Really weird thing is that if I log in as the network administrator, I can use Access on her machine with no problem.

I've tried several different approaches to fixing it to no avail, including - obviously - uninstall/reinstall, multiple times. I'm ready to throw the darn computer out of the window!

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Service Pack is the Windows 2K at on this PC?
    Is the Office XP version fully upto date also, with latest Service Pack and updates?

In Event Viewer at the exact time of the crash is there a logged error? (likely in Application Log or could be System) if so what is the error and faulting file info?

3. twinmms

twinmms Private E-2

Thank for looking into this.

It's SP3 and Office XP is up to date. Haven't looked at the event viewer yet, but I'll do that now and post back in a few minutes.

4. twinmms

twinmms Private E-2

Okay, so the error log says the faulting application was MSAcess.exe - we knew that of course. The fault address was 0X000209866, the source was Microsoft Office 10 and the event ID was 1000.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds