Microsoft Access Macro and ODBC Driver Connect

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mada_Milty, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Good day,

I have an Microsoft Access application that is linked to an Oracle Database via an ODBC Machine Data Source. This Access app runs a macro that queries tables in the Oracle DB. I would like to configure this app so that the Oracle8 Driver Connect dialog doesn't appear (ie, it authenticates non-interactively). I believe this requires a connection string with the database name, user id, and password defined within, but I don't know how its done! And google isn't being very helpful today. Does anyone have any advice they could offer?

Thanks,

Milty

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Love to help you here Mada, but sadly Access and Oracle ODBC is not my forte... but if you give me some basic ideas on whats needed maybe I can hunt some info down?

is this close http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi24/Coders/p089-24.pdf I know its not Oracle but the MS Access info on user/pass maybe in/out the ballpark!

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Oh MAN!!!! That's almost exactly what I needed! And I only say almost because I haven't read it in its entirety!

Anyway you put it, this has got me closer to my goal than all of my research! Halo, my man, remind me to buy you a beer if you're ever in Ontario! Cheers man!

I'm going to have to see how this helps.

What I'm trying to accomplish is fairly simple. This access macro takes a part number column in a table in the oracle db and processes the contents for another column on the same table using 3 update queries.

The difficulty comes when I try to automate this! I have a script that calls the macro, but when it does, because it is linked to the the oracle database, I have to authenticate to allow the queries to run. I could script in the password, but execution stops when it encounters this dialog.

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Update: I found an even better solution, one so simple I feel like a complete arse for missing it!

To disable the Oracle8 ODBC Driver Connect Dialog, you simply have to check the box that says 'Save Password' when selecting the table you would like to link. I'm posting a screenshot as a visual aid, hopefully this helps someone else as blind and dumb as myself!

Attached Files:

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Cheers for the feedback and fix Mada,

I guess as the saying goes the answer can almost be under your nose most of the time!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds