Microsoft Automatic Update Icon does not show in tray

Discussion in 'Software' started by hutchfred, Sep 5, 2006.

1. hutchfred

hutchfred Private First Class

As I have indicated above, the Microsoft Automatic Update Icon does not show in the tray. I believe that it is working but I never know when it is working. I have it set at automatic download and install. I did have it set at notify me when updates are available, but since the Icon did not show in the tray I never knew when there was new updates, unless I went to the update site. Any Ideas.:confused:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If it is set to auto....it will only show when an update is done that requires a restart ....best (IMHO) to set to notify me and then choose custom install so you can see exactly what is trying to be installed, and choose or deny items.

3. hutchfred

I had it that way but it didn't notify me, because the Icon would not come up in the tray. I knew there were a lot of updates to download by going to the update site, but the icon never notified me.

4. TimW

Let's look at this ....right click in the system tray ...properties ....taskbar ...customize and look for the update icon ...see how it is set ...(never show/hide when inactive/ always show).

5. hutchfred

TimW, are you looking at Windows XP or Windows 2000. As you can see I have Windows 2000. When I right click in the system tray ...properties, this is what I get.

Capture9-6-2006-8.04.41 AM.jpg Capture.jpg

Any further suggestions?:confused:

6. TimW

Well, no I didn't see that you had win 2000 until you just told me ....have to check when I get to work and look at some off our 2000 machines ...though I know that ours are set to auto and only show up when they notify that there is an update to download.

7. hutchfred

Thanks TimW!!!

8. hutchfred

Yesterday I changed my settings on the Automatic Update as follows:

Capture9-10-2006-7.56.27 AM.jpg

After surfing the net for a while I went to Microsoft Update website. After the scanning it told me there was one update, an update for Windows Defender. It had already been downloaded, so clicked to install. After attempting to install it came back with a message that it failed to install. During all of this the Automatic Update Icon never appeared in the tray. I then changed the Automatic Update to Automatic update and install. After a while, I then checked the Windows Defender and the update was installed.

Does any one have any ideas on how I can correct the problem?:confused:

9. hutchfred

Just to update, so as not to leave this thread unfinished.

In the end, because I lost all of the files in the "Network and dial-up Connections" folder, I had to reinstall my Windows 2000 Professional program from the original disk. Then it took me 46 updates to bring it up to date. Also had to reinstall several programs.

But now it is working great. I even changed my anti-virus from AVG to Avast. It appears that the Avast is using less memory and has more features and is easier to use. Also, I am using Comodo firewall now, it seems to be doing quite well.

Thanks for everyones help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds