Microsoft challenges hackers to crack service pack 2

Discussion in 'Software' started by NICK ADSL UK, Sep 10, 2004.

1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft challenges hackers to crack service pack 2
    Microsoft has thrown down the gauntlet to computer criminals worldwide by challenging hackers to take down its Windows XP security update, SP2.

The security offensive has been announced by Alistair Baker, UK head of the company, who insisted he would be "impressed" if criminals could get through an operating system running the software.

He said that Microsoft's service pack 2, launched by Bill Gates last month, was the "first big line we have drawn in the sand," to combat security breaches and spam.

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/001690.html

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I can just see Bill sitting at his chair slapping forehead saying "Stupid , stupid , stupid... "

3. Nirvana_CN

Nirvana_CN Private First Class

If it takes them more than a few days i would be suprised.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

He is gonna have a flat forehead before long ;)

5. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

The reason he challenges them to hack the new system is so they can find security holes in the OS. He's only doing it as a free chance to make changes to the OS to make it more secure once he finds out the holes the hackers got through. It's free labor to him and he gets more money by the end of the day.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yes, we all know this. They did this back when 2k came out. But it's just a bad idea to call them out like that. It's more or less a risk for his companies stock. If the hackers tear it apart, then SP2 was a superior failure and stock will fall. If they only find a handful of problems, then he's no worse off. But they way that it was proposed was cocky and arrogant. They proposed this much more professionally when they did it with win2k and people actually took them seriously about it. Do you really think GOOD (malicious) hackers are going to release their best tricks to the public? no way!

White hats don't need to be called out like that.. it was just done all wrong.

7. Nirvana_CN

Nirvana_CN Private First Class

Yup we know he wants to find the problems and holes in SP2. We are the ones to suffer when every hacker under the sun knows a 101 exploits and it takes MS 6 months to patch them up.

He should hire the heckers not do this.

8. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

I Agree with both of you. That's basically what I was getting at. Just too lazy to type the whole thing.

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

He didn't just throw down the gauntlet, he b****slapped them with it. Remember what happened after the last guy who challenged the bad guys to "Bring it on."?

10. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Remember what happened after the last guy who challenged the bad guys to "Bring it on."?
    Nope. And that's the point :D Old joke:
    Agent says,"So I told him, 'Billy Braverman, I made you and I can break you.' "
    Guy talking to the agent says,"Who is Billy Braverman? I never heard of him."
    Agent winks and says,"See what I mean?"

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds