Microsoft Firewall Vrs Antivirus Programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by mickeytoo, Mar 6, 2012.

1. mickeytoo

mickeytoo Private E-2

Is it a good ides to turn off the operating systems (XP) firewall when using the free version of AVG antivirus and the paid version of Advanced System Care?

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

If either program has it's own firewall feature then yes, you should only be running one firewall on a computer - turn off the one you don't want running. Running two firewalls on a computer is a no-no.

I don't really care for XP's built-in firewall because it's essentially "one-way" in that it filters inbound traffic, but does little to filter outbound stuff. Nor is it very sophisticated overall. I like a firewall that tells me when something on my computer is trying to "phone home."

I prefer ZoneAlarm free as a software firewall on all my Lanned PC's, but there are many good free firewalls to be had. Some PC people feel you don't need a software firewall at all if you are behind a router, as most routers serve as a "hardware" firewall. I disagree. Net-nasties can get by (or be let past) your router and onto your computer . . . in the absense of a good software firewall on all your machines your entire LAN would rapidly get infected. With a firewall on each machine, the nasty would have a harder time getting "out" of the infected machine and "in" another machine on the LAN.

Had the Trojans placed some guards in a redoubt past the gate, the Iliad might have ended differently ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds