microsoft money question

Discussion in 'Software' started by oldandconfusedagain, Feb 4, 2013.

1. oldandconfusedagain

oldandconfusedagain Private E-2 <i>emeritus</i>

win 7 home premium
    trying to install microsoft money deluxe sunset edition downloaded from microsoft website.
    download completes successfuly. start installing and encounter this error near end of installation "autorun.inf file missing or corrupt". do a bunch of searching. find out then that this program will supposedly only run on a win 7 professional, ultimate os because of compatability issues. we do not want to spend a hundred bucks to upgrade os to pro just to see if an obsolete money program will work okay. I do not have a disc, this is a downloaded program. do you think the following is a legitimate solution?
    I find a registry fix that says it takes care of all this and allows it to run on win 7 premium. I also do not want to butcher the registry. the registry fix has step by step instructions with screenshots and seems pretty simple. anyone here with microsoft money knowledge? if the answer really is "it will not work no matter what, I'll quit now". the wife and I have used money for quite a time and know our way around it. tried quicken and a few others, but none do what we want and can do in money. I can post a link to the registry fix if needed, but don't want to infringe on protocol. need some knowledgeable advice from geeks who know.:confused

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Man let me tell you buddy, maybe you can get a more favorable comment from someone else, but registry fixes just are not cool with me. I'm not saying it's a form of hacking, but I just don't advise it. Wait and see what other responses you get before you do anything.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Money is no longer supported as of 2011, so really not a good thing to be playing around with. Get yourself a mint.com account, and be done.

5. oldandconfusedagain

thanx nick
    Iam not comfortable with a registry change either.
    I got the same from microsoft working on win 7, but upon searching I find it has to run in compatability mode for xp and only the pro versions of win 7 come with that capability. so I would have to upgrade. really don't want to spend money just for that one utility, but may have to as we really like money. ckeck in tomorrow to see if any other suggestions pop up. thanx again

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

As far as I am aware changing the registry to make the OS advertise itself as a pro version won't allow you to use compatibility mode. I can't see a solution to this problem apart from recommending that if you have a spare copy of XP that you virtualise it.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I tried installing MS Money on a Windows Vista and Win 7 PC installs I have had and I did have the Ultimate or Pro versions of Windows, I did try those registry hacks and the was stability issues in Money. I did not wish to go the route of XP Compatibility mode as I would far rather go the route of using a Virtual PC.

So knowing the likelihood of getting a defunct (albeit sadly as it was a great Money app) app working even with Compatibility options, is not great for data integrity in a financial app.

I would therefore like others suggest sourcing an alternative app.
    If you want a local app that's free then try this http://www.codelathe.com/mmex/mmex_screenshots.php and not that I tried this function but of you have a Money QIF format file then you maybe able to import all your accounts from Money if you have anything from a previous non Windows 7 install of Money.

8. oldandconfusedagain

thanks for all the help. going to try gnu cash and see if it will fit the bill.:wave

9. oldandconfusedagain

going to try that mmex program also david. I'll get back and let you know about it

10. oldandconfusedagain

just for further info. loaded mmex software and using it now. great little program for what we need. does what we need perfectly

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Cheers for the update and glad the app works for what you need, I thought it was a good alternative to MS Money.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds