Microsoft No for Resale Enterprise server 2003

Discussion in 'Software' started by dennycsr, Sep 6, 2005.

1. dennycsr

dennycsr Private E-2

Bought sever 2003 enterprise and found it to be Not for Sale copy. It loaded and registered. What won't work? What problems am I facing?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The "Not for Sale" tag is that on the CD? if so it leads me without seeing the CD to believe it could be a MSDN developer edition copy or OEM ( Original Equipment Manufacturer ) version.

Retail 2003 Enterprise Server CD should look like this http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/re/80821f49-e480-4b75-be73-24b6b32e72cb.mspx

is their also a COA ( Certificate of Authenticity ) label on the package the CD came with?

where did you buy it from, a retailer, online retailer or from the likes of eBay?

IF your using this for a critical data server, then I would be tempted if your not sure of what will or won't work give Microsoft a call, saves any grief at a later date?

3. dennycsr

dennycsr Private E-2

COA ( Certificate of Authenticity ) label was on the package.
    The on-line retailer route was where the purchase took place.
    It did register and load without any difficulty and appears to be functioning fine. I was wondering what the time bomb is I'm setting on if any. If things are functional I can live with it.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Does the machine pass WGA when you go to windows update? If not, you could follow the steps outlined on the page to contact MS...they might offer you a free or discounted copy. If it DOES turn out to be a pirated copy, you will simply not be able to use windows update. However, security fixes will still be available via automatic update.

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Usually it is marked not for resale if 1) the person got it from going to a MS show or 2) if the person is a MS partner....
    any how it is frowned upon by MS that someone sells these copies... so you could probably get that company is deep doo-doo by reporting them to MS.. and MAYBE get a free copy of the OS via the "piracy program".. but it is a gamble.

Otherwise they are full versions (as far as I know) - my friend in the MS partner program said the keys 'go bad' when you don't renew the partnership.. BTW partnership items don't have cases and have orange license stickers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds