Microsoft Office 2007/2010 corrupt file error :( Need Help asap!

Discussion in 'Software' started by shreyas.singh, Nov 12, 2012.

1. shreyas.singh

shreyas.singh Private E-2

I recently installed Office 2010 on my system running windows 7, all files open without a problem, but recently when i tried opening an file with an extension of office 97-2003 , i got an error message saying it couldn't identify the extension as it was different than what was specified. I went ahead and opened the file , disappointingly all that appeared were random special characters and gibberish, not one bit of what the file contained.
    I've tried searching for possible solutions everywhere, but no avail. Hence i unistalled office 2010 and downgraded to office 2007 expecting it to work.Same result. Now i have lost hope, someone please help ? :confused
    Thank you!
    Shreyas

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

What 97-2003 files specifically are you trying to open - .doc, .xls, ...?

You don't get any dialog regarding conversion; just an error message? What is the exact error message?

3. shreyas.singh

Yes , i'm trying to open .doc and .xls files ! The error message is "The file you are trying to open, 'Myfile.xls', is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now? "
    The options given below this message are : Yes,No and Help.
    I don't get any dialog regarding conversion. :(

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

How did you get/create these .doc & .xls files? Did you have an earlier Office version that was able to open these files?

Regular .doc & .xls files should be no problem to open with Office 2007/2010.

5. shreyas.singh

These files were created by me on my old computer and i was using an older version of Microsoft office which opened these files perfectly.
    Before changing over to the new laptop and scrapping the old pc i backed up all these files onto a new portable hard disk for further use.

The files created or received originating from new version of office open without a problem .

6. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

7. shreyas.singh

8. shreyas.singh

I used the software you mentioned and in the process of recovery it said the OLE Header and OLE Header Structure are corrupt :| Any solution ?

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Word Viewer will let you open the doc files created with older versions of word.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/w...read-and-print-documents-HA010186993.aspx#BM2
    I'm not sure what would be the best thing to do after they are opened.

Maybe someone else can jump in and give a better suggestion.

Here's a creative solution that worked for someone. The person emailed the docs to himself and then could open them from the email attachment!

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Give this a try and right click an Office file that's not opening and choose Properties then click the "Unblock" button at bottom of General Tab (if available) , then try and open the file normally, does this work?

*this can happen with emailed docs or ones moved around different networks, if it does open the files up we can set this to always do this*

What you could also try is to completely uninstall Office and then use this Uninstaller app HERE to clear any remaining Office components that may still be installed, then reboot and re-install Office, do this from an Admin account.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds