Microsoft Office 2007 Spell Check

Discussion in 'Software' started by Paddlefoot92869, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Paddlefoot92869

Paddlefoot92869 Private E-2

I recently installed Microsoft Office 2007, and the spell checker no longer functions with Outlook Express 6. All of a suddent Outlook Express is using a French dictionary. I called Microsoft and they said that's what happens. They downloaded ABCSpell, but it's only free for a trial period, then they want you to buy it, and it's not as good as the one that used to be used in Word 2003 by Outlook. How do i get Outlook to use the Word 2007 English spell checker?

2. cake

cake Corporal

try Start > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options (your settings/OS may be different; i'm under XP Home). change/add/delete what you want/need on the Regional and Language tabs.

don't have MS Office, at all; i have Kingsoft Office (MS compatible); seems MS Office 2003 had options for language dictionaries; think it's under Tools in Word.

MS said: "that's what happens?" are you IN France? even if you are, you should be able to add language packs, either through your install cd, OS, or via download. "that's what happens" reminds me of the oxymoron "Microsoft Works" uh, no it doesn't.LOL

my OE6 Help "says" there's a Tools > Options > Spelling tab to change things, but i don't see it. would fix (go looking for a fix) but i'm planning to migrate to Mozilla's Thunderbird soon. maybe try Google/MS for "where's the Spelling tab?" or something similar.

edit: (sigh) couldn't resist so went looking. haven't looked at all the links, but maybe some info (includes some MS links) here:
    Code:
    http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/ie6-outlook-express/27845/Spelling-Tab-Missing

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

4. cake

cake Corporal

looked some more and supposedly OE6 doesn't have a spell checker. one of the links offered was for freeware right here at MajorGeeks:
    Code:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952
    may not be as great as MS (don't know; haven't tried it), but it's something, guaranteed not to have any crapware, AND it's free.

actually, i've never used the MS spell checkers because they always included wanting to fix something that you put in there on purpose. like ALL caps, all lower case, words they've never heard of, words you felt like making up ONCE, perfect grammar (MS is still not any good at that), perfectly correct punctuation, etc. i proof all my stuff by hand.

anyways, try that or maybe think about Mozilla's Thunderbird (WAY more configurable and no security holes). OE6 ALSO doesn't have any kind of spam checker unless you create individual rules for everything...Thunderbird does.

5. cake

cake Corporal

6. Paddlefoot92869

Thanks so much for the download advice for spell checker. I clicked on download Spell Check for OE, and it said almost immediately that it was done, but it still doesn't function in OE. When I try to spell check I still get a message that my trial period for ABCSpell is expired.

7. cake

cake Corporal

you need to uninstall ABCSpell, completely. they are very likely non-compatible. i actually went ahead and installed from the MajorGeeks link and it works perfectly in OE6. you may need to restart after you uninstall...may be best to uninstall both, restart, then reinstall the one from MajorGeeks.

i did restart (although it wasn't specifically required) after i installed. it works exactly as if it came with OE6 in the first place. if it still doesn't work, there might be some leftover stuff from ABCSpell that you'll need to search out and delete.

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Reading this it does sound as though Paddlefoot isn't too sure about installing stuff, and possibly believes that downloading is all that is required. If that is the case Paddlefoot, you need to find the file that has been downloaded and double click it. The program isn't actually installed until you have done that.

If you don't know where to look for the file, go through the download process again and click Save. A box will pop up and ask you where you want to save, and it will have defaulted to the last location you saved a file to. That's where you need to look.

9. Paddlefoot92869

Thank you all so much. It worked!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds