Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 encountered an error during setup

Discussion in 'Software' started by stewart, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stewart

stewart Private E-2

...and won't install :(

Right...where do I begin. I'm using an oldish PC with xp sp2. I downloaded and used some utils from this excellent site to try and increase it's performance (namely ccleaner, taskfree and complete clean up).

I found that after running these programs Office stopped working (I don't know whether it is related to those programs) saying that it was not installed for that user, or words to that effect. I spoke to an IT guy at work about this and he told me to unistall office totally then try reinstalling it - i did this following instructions from the microsoft site.

On reinstalling I was presented with the 'Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 encountered an error during setup' message. I've tried loads of 'fixes' from different forums and from microsofts site and nothing has worked.

Has anybody got any ideas of a way to sort this problem?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try this if not done so already, download and install the Office Installer Cleanup Tool and once run remove anything that mentiones Microsoft Office, then run CCleaner to delete the temp folders so that no Office installer temp files are stored, reboot then install Office again

3. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Thanks,

I'll try that now and let you know the results.

4. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Didn't work, although the status bar showing the installation did get much further!

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

6. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Thanks for that Halo...

I followed the guide but it still wont install.

7. stewart

stewart Private E-2

I tried all this again but I still have the same problem, does anyone else have a solution?

Thanks in advance

8. PelBoy

PelBoy Private E-2

This was driving me mad as there was no error log file I could find and I had followed numerous suggestions on various web sites such as ....

First do this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218 and then after that do this:

In Microsoft Windows XP
    1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    2. Type cd "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft Help", and then press ENTER.
    3. Type attrib -h rgstrtn.lck, and then press ENTER.
    4. Type del rgstrtn.lck, and then press ENTER.
    5. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
    In Windows Vista
    1. Click StartStart button, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    2. Type cd "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft Help" , and then press ENTER.
    3. Type attrib -h rgstrtn.lck, and then press ENTER.
    4. Type del rgstrtn.lck, and then press ENTER.
    5. Type exit, and then press ENTER.

But this did not work for me as rgstrtn.lck did not exist. However, typing
    dir /aH
    I saw that there was a hidden Office directory in the folder "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft Help"

So to remove this I had to run windows explorer as Administrator then I deleted all hidden files and this subdirectory in "c:\programdata\Application Data\Microsoft Help"

This may be a sledgehammer approach but after this the install ran through OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds