Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in Important or not.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bill E, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in

Download size: 1.9 MB

Update type: Important

Microsoft Office File Validation is a security add-in for Office 2003 and 2007. Office File Validation is used to validate that Binary File Format files conform to the Microsoft Office File Format. The user will be notified of possible security risks if files fail to conform to the format.

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501584

Help and Support:
    http://www.microsoft.com

I've just done a new install of Win 7 64 bit Pro and Office 2007 Pro.

This download appears to be getting pushed on us by MS

If I Google Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in there seems to be a lot reporting problems/issues, making computers run very slow, some say it is only for 2003 others say it's for 2003, 2007 & 2010.

I've just done a new install of Win 7 64 bit Pro and Office 2007 Pro. so I'm a little perplexed about this.

Any thoughts anyone.

Thanks.

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

The updated Microsoft explanation page which explains its purpose in more detail here: Office File Validation for Office 2003 and Office 2007.

I'm pretty certain that this validation Add-in must be installed/activated in order for Office to continue to function properly...

I know this because I have had to reinstall MS Office 2003 on my old XP computer (which is now in mothballs) numerous times since I bought it when it was first released. If you do not allow it the Microsoft Office File Validation add-in will keep on nagging you to do so. But don't worry because after it is installed it is not malevolent in any way. And I did not experience any "making computers run very slow" in all those times I reinstalled it. There are many, many things that can make a computer run slowly but - based on my experience anyway, this is not one of them. Most of the people out there in those forums are panicked by the term "validation" because they may be running program that they did not buy and/or may not actually own. And they believe it may uncover this fact after they click OK and install it.

Side Note: Goggling any software program "just because" can sometimes be not as reliable one would hope. And can bring up problems and possible solutions that are not very trustworthy.

Good Luck! -- COMP

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Re: Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in Important or not.

Re: Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in Important or not.

By the way Bill E... I forgot to add,

Is this the same Office 2007 program that you mentioned having trouble installing in this thread started from way back in February 25th of 2009 entitled: Office 2007 Pro Validation?????

And once again from this thread which you started February 20th 2009 entitled: Office 2007 Pro will not install

Good Luck! -- COMP​

4. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

No I had no luck with MS or PayPal over that one I purchased off eBay.

I purchased another from my local computer shop in 2009, it sat on my computer until like all computers it eventually slowed down and started to have issues.

Eventually I installed a new HDD drive about 10 days ago and have been slowly moving everything back to the desktop from the laptop.

I didn't do a restore because I'm trying to limit the 'Bumf' of useless stuff that builds up over a few years.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have this hidden for a long time on an XP computer that I have Office 2007 installed on.
    Since I purchased a Home and Student edition, I have two more licenses for installs. When I install this on my husband's Win 7 desktop, I will hide it on there also.

A friend installed the add-on, I believe he is running Office 2003. He had problems and uninstalled it and hid it. I'm not sure if the computer was running XP or 7.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds