Microsoft Office upgrading issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nal101, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Nal101

Nal101 Private E-2

To put it simple..
    Bought a new computer, vista, came with MSOffice Student (trial, 90 days)
    Guy at BestBuy said I could buy the upgrader to MSOffice Business and apply it to the trial student without having to buy Student. I try it out, does not work, asks for MSOffice Student CD which did not come with the computer. Call them, they offer multiple ways to fix it, each way costing me more money, but are still saying that I can do it myself.

In the extremely vague explanation, he said I would need to do an update or somthing of the like to Microsoft Works that will allow me to do something that will assist me in upgrading.

Any ideas?

2. Nal101

Nal101 Private E-2

Thats the thing, they said that it could work, and essentially it CAN. So they arent entitled to giving a refund. I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about what thye were talking about so I dont have to get sucked in to their shit.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

What makes you think it "CAN" work? I'm quite sure the guy at BB lead you down the wrong path. And, really now, isn't it obvious you can not use a trial version of Office as the basis for proving eligibilty for an upgrade version? The requirement for to install an upgrade version of Office is an earlier version to which you have full software license rights, i.e. a version you've paid for and properly registerd. Obviously, a trial version doesn't qualify.

4. Nal101

Nal101 Private E-2

Thats what I thought too, but in all seriousness I had no clue, and assumed they wouldn't lie.

But is anyone going to answer my question previously? Or all of you going to rant about the subject.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Didn't I answer your question? Again, the guy at BB either lied or just didn't know. You'll need a valid license to an older version to install the updgrade.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

While the BB guy was right in that you can use other verions of older Office and Works to be able to use the upgrade versions of Office 2007 Business, what he was really wrong with is that you cannot use Office 2007 Home and Student trial to to this from as its not an upgrade path and if you dont already have a retail version of MS Works then buying that to upgrade to Office Business is going to cost you more $$s

If you dont have a full retail version of Office *any version* or MS Works then a trial or pre-installed version wont work, to upgrade Office trials to different full versions IIRC you have to install like for like so if you have trial Student then you have to have the upgrade version to Office Student etc etc

If they do know how to do this then they had a duty to tell you on selling you the Office Business version and not want to charge you extra for the privelidge of telling you!

Found the KB on Office trials http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927756 and if you have the convert option in your trial version then see if that accepts the Business versions serial key.

7. Nal101

Nal101 Private E-2

It came with a full version of MSWorks. So can I use that to install the MSOffice business upgrade? If so, how? If not, then thanks for the help thus far.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds