Microsoft Office Word 2007

Discussion in 'Software' started by Squirlatheart, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Squirlatheart

Squirlatheart Private E-2

Hi all,
    I have a Dell desktop Dimension 4600C and running XP. I installed Microsoft office 2007 and have repeatedly had trouble with my documents freezing. I have run diagnostics to no avail. It freezes, I have to control/alt/delete, and sometimes the recovery program saves it but often I lose the data, even after it has been saved multiple times. I am current on updates, but does anybody have any insight into why this is happening repeatedly?? Thanks for advice.
    Lovell

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Is it happening in IE also? How often does your computer freeze when you're browsing the Internet? Or you don't know because you use FireFox for browsing?

3. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Microsoft has this relatively new service - a free online scanner. It can very often repair broken files, it installs updates, defragments selected sections, removes obsolete registry keys safely, removes temporary Internet files and a lot of malware. It worth giving it a try. Link to Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner here.

This scanner can do quite a few things that other online scanners can't. Most important: it can repair and eliminate bugs in Microsoft's own programs. It is true that other online scanners perform better when it comes to malware removal but OneCare definitely has it's advantages. And the malware removal isn't exactly bad either...

4. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

5. Squirlatheart

Well, thank all of you for helping me. I do normally use Firefox, and nothing freezes except Word and often repeatedly within a few minutes.

I did run the scanner and it recognized over 260 registry errors, which it fixed.

I did add more memory last year thinking that might be it, but it made no difference. I use ZoneAlarm and AVG free edition and keep my computer fairly clean, although I don't often mess with the registry.

And I did open the event viewer which showed lots of events under the Microsoft Office sessions, event 7000, but I have no idea what any of that means. This is a typical event entry with the event ID being either 7000 or 7002.

D: 0, Application Name: Microsoft Office Word, Application Version: 12.0.6308.5000, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.6215.1000. This session lasted 3202 seconds with 840 seconds of active time. This session ended with a hang.

Again, thank you for helping me. Some days it does not occur at all, but some days it can happen 5 or 6 times.

Lovell

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you have Windows Desktop Search or Google Desktop Search installed? if so uninstall them to test.

Also another 3rd party add-on could cause this, so to test, open Word and click the ORB and then Word Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings and Disable All Application Add-ins then Ok and close and re-open Word and see if this happens.

Also from Word Options > Resources > run Office diagnostics

Also are you at Office 2007 SP1? ( as my Word is at version 12.6311.5000 ) if not at SP1 for Office do update it.

Your not on a network as in corporate network are you?

7. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

You could try this - only the online scanner OneCare should have run this check already. But anyway:

1. Insert your XP-CD
    2. Go to the Start button - lower left corner - and click
    3. Select Run
    4. Write: sfc /scannow - the space before / must be there
    5. Let it run until the progress bar disappears
    6. Reboot

8. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Is it still freezing by the way? You actually didn't tell us...

9. Squirlatheart

Okay, I did as Halo suggested, so we shall see tomorrow as I work. It did not freeze on me anymore today. I had already run Office Diagnostics, and it came up clean this time. But I had run it before and it said it had noted a problem and I went through going to the site to repair. Anyway, I will let you guys know tomorrow how it works with this step before proceeding to your next suggestion Cordialis. You guys are just the best. Thank you so much.

Lovell

10. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Perhaps the free OneCare online scanner did repair it after all. It is supposed to be able to do that with a number of problems...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds