Microsoft Outlook 2016 - Block Sender

Discussion in 'Software' started by oli, Jan 24, 2017.

1. oli

oli Corporal

There are emails that arrive in my bulk mail folder that are just junk. I use the 'Block Sender' for emails that I don't want, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. The next day most of the same emails are there again.
    Is there something else I can do to block junk emails?

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Not really. Just keep marking emails 'spam' or whatever term Outlook uses.

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

It may be a bit of work but, all of those emails will have an unsubscribe link at the bottom. Unsubscribe from the emails you don't want to receive.

4. oli

oli Corporal

Will give it a shot.

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I would NOT do that. Using 'unsubscribe' confirms to the spammer that the address is a real and correct one. That's fine if it's emails from an organisation the receiver has previously done business with or has had contact with, but not a sender not known to the receiver.
    What's the problem with just emptying the spam folder periodically?

Eldon likes this.
  6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Eldon likes this.
  7. oli

oli Corporal

I've always thought using the unsubscribe might increase spam.
    Will try the IP technique

8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

MaxTurner & plodr are 100% correct.
    Spammers, the filth of the internet, don't want you to 'unsubscribe' from their spam. There's also the possibility that malware will download when you click the unsubscribe link.

MaxTurner likes this.
  9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Yes! I barely thought about that. I just routinely empty my spam folder after a quick glance that nothing non-spam has ended up there by mistake.

10. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Unsubscribe is what I've done and I haven't had any of the issues Max Turner, plodr or Eldon mention.

If you unsubscribe, by law they must stop sending you emails. It may take a few days for it to happen.

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That only really applies to legitimate concerns, eg you get a voucher for a discount case of wine and then they endlessly email you after to sell more. Yes they have an unsubscribe button and it will probably work.
    But spammers are most definitely not legitimate concerns, however 'official' or 'reputable' the email looks. Using any 'unsubscribe' link confirms the reality of your email address. But if the email has gone into the 'spam' folder it's there because the email provider filters have determined it to be just that and if the recipient has no knowledge of any contact with the sender, the worst thing to do is anything but delete it.
    I regularly get 'official' looking spam from 'banks' - they are phishing emails with malware code in them. Yes they have an unsubscribe link in them if I choose to open them to full view but I'd be mad to click on that.

The easiest and safest thing to do with spam is just to empty the spam folder with one click.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Boy are you an optimist! Just like the telemarketers stop calling if you press a certain button on your phone. :rolleyes:
    Spammers and most telemarketers are not in the country the email account is in so they are not bound by laws pertaining to another country.

I've never unsubscribed from a spam email and I hang up the phone without pressing buttons when a telemarketer calls.

13. msofficesupport

msofficesupport Private E-2

Always to delete spam mail and do not click on link whether is unsubscribe.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2017
  14. oli

oli Corporal

Will delete spam folder, instead of unsubscribe.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds