Microsoft Security Bulletins for 6/8/04 & Special Update 6/15/04

Discussion in 'Software' started by NICK ADSL UK, Jun 8, 2004.

1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft Security Bulletins for 6/8/04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 8, 2004
    Today Microsoft released the following Security Bulletins.

Note: www.microsoft.com/technet/security and www.microsoft.com/security are authoritative in all matters concerning Microsoft Security Bulletins! ANY e-mail, web board or newsgroup posting (including this one) should be verified by visiting these sites for official information. Microsoft never sends security or other updates as attachments. These updates must be downloaded from the microsoft.com download center or Windows Update. See the individual bulletins for details.

Because some malicious messages attempt to masquerade as official Microsoft security notices, it is recommended that you physically type the URLs into your web browser and not click on the hyperlinks provided.

Bulletin Summaries:
    Microsoft> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms04-jun.mspx

Moderate Bulletins:

MS04-016 - Vulnerability in DirectPlay Could Allow Denial of Service (839643)
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS04-016.mspx

MS04-017 - Vulnerability in Crystal Reports Web Viewer Could Allow Information Disclosure and Denial of Service (842689)
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS04-017.mspx
    This represents our regularly scheduled monthly bulletin release (second Tuesday of each month). Please note that Microsoft may release bulletins out side of this schedule if we determine the need to do so.

If you have any questions regarding the patch or its implementation after reading the above listed bulletin you should contact Product Support Services in the United States at 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338 ] International customers should contact their local subsidiary.
    Please note this was first posted by Jerry Bryant of Microsoft IT Communities at the DSLR SECURITY FORUM

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  2. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

3. NICK ADSL UK

Microsoft Security Bulletin for 6-15-04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 15, 2004
    Today Microsoft re-released the following Security Bulletin.

Note: www.microsoft.com/technet/security and www.microsoft.com/security are authoritative in all matters concerning Microsoft Security Bulletins! ANY e-mail, web board or newsgroup posting (including this one) should be verified by visiting these sites for official information. Microsoft never sends security or other updates as attachments. These updates must be downloaded from the microsoft.com download center or Windows Update. See the individual bulletins for details.

Because some malicious messages attempt to masquerade as official Microsoft security notices, it is recommended that you physically type the URLs into your web browser and not click on the hyperlinks provided.

Critical Bulletins:

MS04-011 - Vulnerability Security Update for Microsoft Windows (83573]
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS04-011.mspx

This DOES NOT represents our regularly scheduled monthly bulletin release (second Tuesday of each month). Please note that Microsoft may release bulletins out side of this schedule if we determine the need to do so.

If you have any questions regarding the patch or its implementation after reading the above listed bulletin you should contact Product Support Services in the United States at 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-233. International customers should contact their local subsidiary.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin for 6-15-04

link is busted NICK

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

As soon as I saw that....

BATTON DOWN THE TCP/IP STACKS, lets patch it up boys (and gurls ;))

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx
    Non-busted link :)

Heres the download link for Windows XP and SP1
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9E-DA3F-43B9-A4F1-AF243B6168F3&displaylang=en

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Whoa, have you read the tech details!?! This is scary!

There are *8* different vunrablities which allow Remote Code execution, 4 that allow privilage elevation (promoting a standard user to a more privilaged user), and 2 that can be used to DoS attack you.

It's classed as critical for all versions of NT based OSes. Oh dear oh dear.

I think MG is about to get a whole lot busier soon.

7. NICK ADSL UK

Thanks Kodo now fixed :)

Regards

8. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

I started reading this thread, then got confused.
    Is there something I need to download?
    Thanks
    Gal

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletins for 6/8/04

How handy :) *subscribes*

10. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

11. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

The security bulletin is "old" (Released 13 april) and this is merely an update of its contents:
    So it is only important for people having a Windows NT 4.0 using Pan Chinese Language. (My bet is no one here at majorgeeks), unless ofcourse they haven't visited Windows Update since the 12 april ;)

12. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Well thats weird. Why'd they release it outta schdule then? :confused:

13. NICK ADSL UK

Hi snakefoot :)
    That is indeed correct. However if you are using a Windows NT 4.0 using Pan Chinese Language This update should be installed by customers even if the original update was installed.

Regards

14. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

OK. Now I am going to show just how dumb I am.
    When Microsoft releases these, if I have automatic updates, won't this take care of it?
    And, the bulletin just announcing what it is for?

Sorry........Maybe someone will get a chuckle out of my question :)

Gal

15. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Automatic Update will make sure you always have the lastest updates you need
    There are a few reason I could think off:
    1. When using Automatic update then your internet-connection is used to download the update. Imagine at a company with 1000 machines and they all want to download the update (Waste of bandwidth). Instead downloading it once and distributing it internally within the company would be more effecient.
    2. When using Automatic update then you have no chance of pre-testing whether the upgrade will render your machine useless or if it will cause conflicts with any of your applications. Serious companies usually apply the update to a testing enviroment to make sure it causes no sideeffects before installing the update on every machine.
    3. When using Automatic Update then there usually little information shown about what the updates affects besides that they are critical. The detail described in these security bulletins can be rather critical for system administrators.

16. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

Thank you snakebite. That made a lot of sense.

I need to look at the broader picture, not just my pc.....
    Gal

17. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i am also confused as to which updates i need. i also have automatic windows update. a get the occasional massage from 'big fix' which i think is something to do with e.machine. doesnt windows update deal with all this?

18. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Big Fix is a company that provides monitoring of your Windows-installation. It should automaticly install the patches you need so you don't have worry about it. (Very much like Microsoft own Automatic Update)

Though not sure how well Big Fix and Microsoft Automatic Update work together. Whether they will give even better protection or just create conflicts for each other.

19. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

why, thanx snakefoot....that makes me feel loads better :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds