Microsoft security essentials update failing

Discussion in 'Software' started by MaureenMc, Oct 28, 2010.

1. MaureenMc

MaureenMc Private E-2

I have xp pro sp3 and downloaded microsoft security essentials today. First got rid of all other anti virus software and did the microsoft scan to clean up registry etc

So having then got the Security Essentials I need to update it. No chance! Error 0x8024400 is the response. It can't get to the link.

Talk about FED UP!!

Anybody else get this? It seems to be a regular error according to my searches on google.

Maureen

2. samtal

samtal Corporal

3. MaureenMc

MaureenMc Private E-2

Thank you for the response. However I tried just ignoring it and went online with IE. It automatically downloaded the updates as I was online. So it has something to do with doing the updates immediately after you have downloaded the Security software that you get that error message.

thanks again
    Maureen

4. pattyandme

pattyandme Private E-2

MS Essentials installed OK, update failed err code 0x80004004.

This seems to be a permission issue with the User account when trying to download the updates. Are you in a Standard, Limited or Guest user account? If you already in an Administrator profile there could be certain permission issues with your account.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Crimson Spectrum at http://aiscer.spaces.live.com

This is what I have found

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds