microsoft security updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by NICK ADSL UK, Jul 10, 2003.

1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

JUST RELEASED 9-7-03
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

For additional information just click on scan for updates then click read more
    PLEASE NOTE THIS FILE HAS BEEN TESTED BY MYSELF INCLUDING THE 2 SECURITY UPDATES AND THEY HAVE NO ADVERSE EFFECTS ON THE COMPUTER WHATSOEVER

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Are those the 2 Buffer Overrun ones or the Error Reporting Update?

3. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

So I got them, but that reminds me ...

I never use MS Insufferable Exasperation 6 for anything *except* accessing MS sites. They seem geared to MSIE and hostile to other browsers, and Windows Update works on MSIE alone for me. That everyon'e's experience? If you get WU to work in another (non-MS) browser, which one?

AAAAaaand ... I'm on cable, and in order to get WU to work, I have to open Internet Options, Connection, LAN, and UNcheck Automatically Detect. If I don't do that first, the Scan for Updates function sits at 0% forever. But the *other* MS sites react badly to having that switch off, so I have to REcheck it to use the MSKB.

Any thoughts?
    (Changing the switch only takes a sec, and I only have to do it when I'm going to use WU, but I'm curious about whether everybody on a cable connex has to do this.)

4. Wisewiz

Halo,
    I just got the two "criticals" (823559 and 817606), and everything seems fine. I ignore the accumulating set of "Other Recommended XP Updates" so long as they don't interest me. I have the whole error-reporting (phone-home) system shut down, so getting updates to error-reporting seems unnecessary.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2003
  5. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

update 811493 scares me... that is the one that slowed everything down before....
    is this an updated version, is it doing the same thing

6. Wisewiz

Whatever that problem was -- and it affected a lot of computers that didn't have any of the software MS claimed was in conflict, mine for instance: it dragged its A*S terribly after that first "fix", but fortunately the uninstall worked -- it appears to have been fixed. I have ALL of the critical updates to date, including that formerly awful one, and everything's fine. :D

Last edited: Jul 10, 2003
  7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Ah yes I downloaded and installed them early this morning ( no adverse effects ) and I'm the same as you I dont have Error Reporting enabled so I have no use for that plus i'm like you I only install what I think my help... installing all updates can IMO cause more problems than enough.

Oh and I installed KB820128 it fixes some XP kernal issues.

as for that one Exeter ( 811493 ) I have that one sitting in a folder named DO NOT INSTALL ;)

8. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

Ah heck...I'm a risk taker... I'll set a restore point ande give it a try!!

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

can you download the files individually then?

10. NICK ADSL UK

hi halo the update"s are for both the buffer overrun and the Error Reporting Update:)

11. Wisewiz

Individually? Sure. When the Review and Install screen comes up, click Remove on all but one, and Install and reboot. Check it all out to your heart's content, then go back to Windows Update and repeat ... until it tells you there's nothing left they can stick you wi ... er, offer you.

12. NICK ADSL UK

hi exeter the 811493 is now ok . thease new update"s have nouthing to do with previous update"s

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds