Microsoft Update not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by Twistid, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Twistid

Twistid Corporal

A couple of hourse ago I did a scan of my security settings with Belarc Advisor and changed each one to the recommended settings. After doing so I now am having problems with Microsoft Update. When trying to run Microsoft Update I get the following:
    [Error number: 0x800A0046]
    Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
    To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
    In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then click Custom Level.
    In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
    Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
    Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.

Something to note here is that this setting is already enabled in Internet Explorer. Other odd things that have also happened is not being able to go into the properties of the Automatic Updates Service and Webroot Spy Sweeper's installation being corrupted.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

3. Twistid

Twistid Corporal

Sweet. Thanx! Everything is back to normal now (just updated my Windows Defender). Not sure which worked but all I could do in that link was to have the RPC service logon locally (or whatever it did). I also noticed a link I didn't click on earlier that was very helpful (gave more detail on each item in Belarc and how to configure it) and fixed a lot of items. Even my Spy Sweeper isn't having problems anymore. During this process I also managed to up my score from 7 something to 9.37 :).

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Sounds good. :)

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds