Microsoft updates are failing

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Nov 11, 2010.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Win 7 Premium,
    I get no error message only a dialogue box that says the updates are failing to download and install.
    I notice in my history that there are multiple failures listed.
    I have downloads pending that won't work.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Here are a few things to try:

1. From the START>ALL PROGRAMS menu, click on "Windows Update". If the browser gives you an error message, it is very possible you have a malware or virus infection. Go to the form link below for instructions (I've been able to get rid of issues using only Malware Bites; however you may have to use all steps in the thread link).
    2. If you are able to access the Windows Update web page, attempt to run updates through it. Look for specific error messages on what updates fail. If there is not a Microsoft link on knowledge bases (KBs) to fix the specific errors, do a search on the specific error code.
    3. Based on error code search results, go ONLY to links provided by Microsoft. This will avoid the possibility of getting more malware and/or hitting solutions requiring payment.

Here is the MajorGeek's link to virus/malware removal:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Hope this helps. :)

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I spoke with M.S and the re was a synchronization problem causing the trouble.
    The two updates waiting for me were installed fine after synchronizing.
    However, the rep told me not to worry about all the failed updates in the history section.
    He said they would be installed later.
    I feel that leaves my pc insecure.
    I have clicked on the feature to get updates but it responds that my pc is updated.
    Thank you for your kind reply.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Many updates are subsequently included in a cumulative update, so if Windows Update is saying you are up to date then no need to be concerned at all.

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Very comforting.
    Thank you

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds