Microsoft updates unable to install?

Discussion in 'Software' started by crimsnkentucky, Aug 18, 2006.

1. crimsnkentucky

crimsnkentucky Private E-2

My automatic updates came back with the message: Unable to install the following updates:
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917159)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922616)
    Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB920214)
    Update for Word 2002 (KB917347)

Can anyone help me figure out how to resolve this problem?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I would recommend that you run CCleaner to clean temp files, and try again.

If that fails, make note of the error code that windows update gives you (should be similar to 0x800456 and is in the top right corner of the error message page), and post back so we can help you further.

3. Spector

Spector Private E-2

Sorry for the question but is your windows copy a legal one?

Not that I care but usually this problem happen when the serial number was used many times…

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

crimsnkentucky is past validation, and the updates (s)he has downloaded are failing to install. OS legitimacy is not a question at this point.

5. crimsnkentucky

crimsnkentucky Private E-2

Can you explain what you mean that I am past validation? It is my computer and my software.

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Windows XP requires that you undergo a Windows Genuine Advantage check to where they validate your OS, and make sure that it isn't a pirated copy. If you don't pass, they don't let you use Windows Update.

But, I just noticed you're using Automatic updates, so the validity of your OS REALLY isn't a factor. You can still download critical security updates, even if you do have a pirated copy of Windows.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds