Microsoft Visual C++ update questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nuts4Mutts, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Nuts4Mutts

Nuts4Mutts Private E-2

Hi All!

I'm running Vista HP, SP-2 & got a message to update Visual C++ 2008.
    I went to the download page & saw that there's a version for 2012 available.

Should I update the 2008 version ONLY, or should I update it and then install the 2012 version, too?

Thanks for your help!

Nuts4Mutts :)

2. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Was this update message from Windows Update? I assume that you are referencing the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable. If this is the case, then install the 2008 update.
    There's no need to install any later redistributable until such time as you install some software that requires it. When this occurs, the installer will either come bundled with the required redistributable, or let you know that you need to install the required version first - VC++ 2010/2012/etc.

3. Nuts4Mutts

Nuts4Mutts Private E-2

Hi _nullptr!

I was updating Java when I got the message. I installed the Visual C++ 2008, & it indicated that I should check for updates, too. I went to MS & there is a Service Pack 1
    for C++ 2008, but it had 3 different download choices!!! I didn't know which one I needed, so I didn't download any on them. I tried to get info on my PC, but I couldn't find Visual C++ 2008 anywhere...except for in "Programs & Features". (I'm running Vista HP, Service Pack-2, 32bit). When I right-clicked on it in Programs & Features "uninstall" is the only thing that came up.

What would you advise?

Thanks for answering my post!

Best Regards,
    Nuts4Mutts :)

I don't know what Visual C++ is for, but the description in the KB article didn't sound like it was a security issue, but I could be wrong...not being very technically adept at PCs, I probably AM wrong!

4. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

What java were you trying to update? Was it the Java Runtime Environment (JRE), the Java Development Kit (JDK) or something else? In Programs and Features, what Java related items are listed?
    As far as VC++ 2008, in Programs and Features is it listed as 'Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable - x86'? For any VC++ 2008 updates, just check by using the Windows Update control panel applet.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I don't have Java on most computers in the house. I do have several versions of Visual C++ so when MS tells me to update them, I do.
    I might have 2003 and 2008 on one computer. (XP)

If a program needs a different version, you will get a prompt that it is missing and either to install it or the program will install it.

If you have more than one version, do not uninstall the old version thinking that the new will work in the program(s) that needs a specific version. It doesn't work that way. Just keep all versions patched/updated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds