Microsoft Windows OneCare Live Beta

Discussion in 'Software' started by Greyhound, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Has anyone tried this as yet? I am a little apprehensive to let M$ or anyone else configure my computer, without my being able to control it.
    :confused:

2. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

No thanks

3. hateuall

hateuall Private First Class

what does this do is it exactly like the windows live safety center? I have tried this one which checked for viruses and gave me info of my system. It also asked if i wanted to send any info to MS, which i did not.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Yeah, thats deep.

Using it for 12+ hours, works great. Like the backup feature, anti-virus works good, firewall same as before. Drive cleaner tool works much better then the previous, removing much more. It is a good utility for anyone who wants all these tools in one bundle, but it is especially great for the people who never clean their drive or defragment. Since you can schedule drive cleaning, virus scan and defragment as often as defined (2 weeks default) it makes one less hassle when I do a repair. Anti-spyware should be bundled, but since that will probably be part of Vista, that makes sense.

5. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

If I am still able to tell when to run updates, like in M$ Antispyware then it might be worth it to use. I like to control when and how I download updates. I do backup my data, but not the programs, as I can always install them again. I run all my protections at least once a day, and do use Restore on my OS drive, but release that every week or so and do a set new restore after using AV scans. So are we going to be able to control when and how on the updates? I also use ZA instead of M$ firewall.

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

I beta tested Windows OneCare Live Beta1 and would give it a 3. I did run into some system stability issues after it updated a couple of times; but overall Microsoft is on the right track with this program, and by release should be a very good product.

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Can not find that setting yet. I had not considered it, but with Windows and security, it was a non issue for me personally, but I agree, its an option you come to expect.

Biggest problem, really an annoyance so far, is that a program usually gives an error connecting before the firewall finally asks for permission. The firewall is asking for permission way too slow.

8. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

I did not have that problem with ZA Security Suite. I had to click allow about umpteen million times, but after that it was good.

9. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Ha ha, it is there, I have it set to alert me when updates are available but not to download them untill I want them. It is under view or change settings.

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

ZA Security Suite and Microsoft Windows OneCare Live aren't even close to being the same. Yes there is some overlapping functionality, but not much. OneCare aims to be a System Security/Maintenace clearing house for Windows with an integrated AV scanner. Microsofts intent is that between Windows OneCare and Windows Defender (MS Antispyware), the average non-computer literate users system will be protected out of the box. These applications will ship with Windows Vista.

Windows OneCare will be a paid subscription service, and Windows Defender will remain free; at least that is the word for now.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  11. comperroruter

I was under the impression it was meant to be a Security suite of its own. My mistake. The stopping programs and anti-virus thing made it seem similar to me. Learn learn learn.

I was impressed that ZoneAlarm didn't have issues with it, especially the virus scanning. I was waiting for the alert to go off alot more than it did.

12. Shadow_Puter_Dude

A plus with OneCare is you don't have to use the integrated AV scanner, you can install your own AV porgram and disable OneCares. I did that while testing Beta1 had no issues with conflicts.

A minus would be that OneCare still does not incorporate a true bidirectional firewall, the Windows Firewall is still being used. However you can still install your own firewall and disable Windows Firewall thru the OneCare Security Center.

13. comperroruter

Does anyone have any idea what they are going to charge for this program once it is released in full version? I understand that it will come with Windows Vista, but that is not slated to be released until late 2006. I assume that it and the AntiSpyware program will be together in one package. I am guessing 29.95ish to 49.95ish.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds