Microsoft Word Doc Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by angela123, Mar 9, 2006.

1. angela123

angela123 Private E-2

My son emailed me a Word doc to me. AOL to Hotmail. I opened it up. Worked on it (in Microsoft Office Word 3) and saved it. I did not "save as". I realized what I had done not knowing where to find it. I did find it in a Temp file. I opened it and got an encrypted doc. I tried everything to convert it to no avail. Went through all processes suggested at Microsoft also. Is there any type of tool I could use to convert this to English? I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks! Angela

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Ok you saved it and cannot find it? Do a search for it or all docs *.doc .. or open a doc and go to "save as" & see what directory your files are going to... your file should be there.

3. angela123

angela123 Private E-2

I did find it. When I open it up it looks like this...

‹ ì\{ UÕ?3;³;›ììNB y 6I 7Ë’ HØ ó’lÀR)Ò;Ó³ÓÉL÷ÐÝ“ÍP”
    ||| JUD«Ø?b – !DD<ª$ŠÁrKƒ¥UX *âZ¬¸àŠ Æß¹÷öìì‹dCô+’þ%¿{îóÜ×¹÷öíé¤ç7S
    Ü÷ø¬Wi .¡ ú°\OµUq!ðL? š¯â>,—Ë 5 ,øD¡ïÁç¨fS}„¨ê3•™ 0ñ‹ ‰ ©csÇæ}î>W&V£>2Z¦ =43$¸¨ÚXÆ@¹ÜtX¿¤[£B5ÃýãÉiÒ+ð”Šß _6@þRI?Ó$¢'! ¨|G+wÕ …!w×Ëð‘ÊçQ ljò*þd™4
    ~¿_Ž
    ‹®`d{ü|¾ôëó1r<ýr>üð
    (‡I§kTù‘’õ£

4. foogoo

You said you found a temp file before did you search and find the .doc?
    Did you do the other suggestions and open a doc and goto save as? Where does it go? Hit the drop down on the top of the open dialog and see what directory your files are going to.

What program are you using to open the temp file?

5. angela123

angela123 Private E-2

Thank you so much for your help. This is the path that the document was saved under on its own.

c/documentsandsettings/angela/localsettings/temporaryinternet/contentie5/
    g1qdem1q

6. foogoo

What program are you using to open the temp file?

7. angela123

angela123 Private E-2

I was using Word.

8. foogoo

What makes you sure that temp file is the temp version of your missing word doc?

If you did hit save before that file is on the drive somewhere.. did you do an entire drive search for *.doc files?

9. peterparker

peterparker Corporal

Try doing a search for the file under all files and folders. Enter some text that you are pretty certain is unique to the file you are searching in the "a word or phrase in the file" textbox. In the "Look in" box paste the following path c/documentsandsettings/angela/localsettings/temporaryinternet/contentie5/
    Depending on how many documents are in your temp file this may take awhile so be patient. If it finds something, than you will be certain that it is the document you need. Move the document to a location of your choice so it will not accidentally get deleted while clearing out your temp files. If you saved the file then you should be able to read it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds