Microsoft Write

Discussion in 'Software' started by ricardian, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ricardian

ricardian Private E-2

An elderly (73 yrs old) friend has some word processor files (file suffix .wri) containing an encyclopaedia he has written of boating terminology and usage. He is not sure what word processor he used but thinks it was Windows 3.1 (!!). I suspect they are MS Write files but have been unable to find anything to convert .WRI to .DOC (the files may even have been corrupted!)
    Does anyone know whether a download of MS Write and/or Windows 3.1 is available? I can set up a dedicated computer if necessary
    --
    Bruce Fletcher
    Stronsay, Orkney UK
    <www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont>

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

They should open with MS Wordpad which is part of Win95 upwards ( plus MS Office Word should open them too, but may need Office cd as it may need to load a converter off the CD )

Its likely you cannot double click the file to open it so will have to manually open the file by opening Wordpad/Word and selection Open > browse for file

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

as an update if the above doesnt work, then attached is Windows Write, which should work for newer Windows ( tested it on Windows Vista, so if it works with that its likely to work with any Win version )

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  4. ricardian

ricardian Private E-2

Many thanks for the help. I've tried everything including the download of Write - I even managed to find and download Word 5.5 onto an old machine running Windows 95. I am now sure that a couple of files were corrupted when the old chap copied them (he isn't very computer literate), chkdsk tells me the original files on a 3.5 inch floppy are OK. I've managed to recover 90 percent of the data from the set of floppies but all the footnotes appear to have disappeared into a sea of hieroglyphics. Either that or he used an incredibly ancient word processing package.
    Thanks again for the rapid response to my original posting
    --
    Bruce Fletcher
    Stronsay, Orkney UK

5. ricardian

ricardian Private E-2

A quick followup to my post a few moments ago. In desperation I tried to open the files from within OpenOffice - and got the best results so far! A couple of files are still a bit dicey and the footnotes are still unrecoverable but all power to OpenOffice.
    --
    Bruce Fletcher
    Stronsay, Orkney

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds