Microwave + Monitor = ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CattBoy, Sep 14, 2005.

1. CattBoy

CattBoy Private E-2

Hey guys,,, This is gunna sound kinda random but... I am a college student and you know how college goes, have all your shit packed into your one little room. And i was wondering if a microwave/mini fridge, would have any affect on like for say, my monitor, or my desktop pc in general... I'm thinking it would so I might want to move it to the other side of my room, but hey let me know.. Any questions just ask..

Thanks
    ~Catt

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I would imagine a Microwave would have an effect on your monitor if they were pretty close together, as they use high voltage transformers and magnatrons, which can cause interference.

Also, the radiation that microwaves cause, especially older ones or ones with a poor door seal, can cause interference to other electrical devices. (Even pacemakers believe it or not)

Newer models are much better, but I would still have them at the other end of the room.

Fridge should be okay, although it would be just safer to have them as far away as possible.

Definitely don't have them all plugged into the same power-board or adaptor though.

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Ignore. :d

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Maybe adding a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) might assist. More stuff in an already cramped room, I know, but the UPS can have other benefits as well as (possibly) reducing any interference. Bazza

5. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

Okey dokey buddy,
    a) keep your microwave as far away as possible from your pc, if it is old with a poor seal the only thing you will be seeing on your monitor is SPARKS and a final resting dot lol.
    b) try and spend a small amount of money on a RFSuppressing extension lead with surge protection built in (you should be able to get one from a good pc retailers or electrical shop ) and use this for your pc equipment. plug your fridge and microwave into a different socket than that of your computer as the fridge will take a surge of current when it kicks in, as will the microwave and this could cause a problem on the pc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds