Migrate/Clean Install to SSD

Discussion in 'Software' started by timw128, Nov 6, 2015.

1. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Hello- I am having a nightmare trying to plan this SSD installation and migrate/clean install of Windows 7.
    My machine is less than a year old, is an HP Envy 700-515xt, and HP Support is completely useless.
    I have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 from the Digital River download site and really would like to do a clean install, thus getting rid of all of HP's bloatware, etc. The problem is that I don't know if the license key sticker on the case will activate a clean install or not. I think I have been able to extract the hidden OEM key from within the system, but am not sure.
    I talked to the Paragon rep about their software regarding the migration scenario, but he advised me that with the HP, Dell, etc. machines that sometimes parts of the Boot files are kept on the D:\Recovery Partition.
    I also have a 4 CD set of Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64 Recovery Media that I made from within Windows 'Recovery Media Creation'.
    Could someone please offer some help regarding this matter?... Meanwhile, I have a brand new Samsung SSD sitting here collecting dust.
    Thank you in advance for any help.
    Regards-
    tim

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Providing the system originally had pre-installed the exact same version of Win 7 that you have downloaded from Digital River then the key on the case sticker should work. This is how your local PC repairer would always do it. If the versions differ it will not work, and neither will the key you have extracted with a keyfinder. That key was used on every machine in the batch that yours was produced in but the case sticker key is unique to your machine.

Don't be too concerned as you can always reinstall your existing HDD if you hit problems, and then have another go with the SSD.

3. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Yes, Earthling, you are correct. They COA key is actually tied to the OEM motherboard. I do have a set of HP Recovery discs, as well, so if something goes south I can reinstall to OEM spec.
    HP Support (elevated) has gotten in touch and a Sr. Tech is going to work with me next week. I'm pretty sure that he's going to say the same thing- as long as it's the original mobo, and same version (Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64), everything will work out.

Thanks for your reply, and have a great weekend.

tim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds