Minimum partition size to install and boot Win XP?

Discussion in 'Software' started by GeoFan, Jan 22, 2006.

1. GeoFan

GeoFan Private First Class

On a new hard drive, what's the minimum practical
    partition size to install and boot Win XP Pro?

I'd like to have one small partition just for booting WinXP, and
    another partition for everything else.

The hard drive is 80GB.

Planning 4GB for boot partition and the rest for everything else.

Any recommendations?

2. GeoFan

Found an answer...

IMPORTANT: The recommended minimum partition size for installing Windows XP 64-Bit Edition is 6 GB

3. GeoFan

Looking for practical advice... the boot partition is where the swap file will be, right?

So, should I use 6GB or something different, for Windows XP Pro?

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Are you using 64bit?

For a "standard" XP (32bit) install, I think (from memory) it's 1.5GB.

Bear in mind you need to allow room for Service Packs and patches.

4GB would be fine.

5. GeoFan

Thanks.

Using ordinary Win XP Pro. I settled on 7 GB to allow more free space on the boot partition... for service packs, swap file, upgrades, defrag...

6. GeoFan

6 GB may not be enough for Windows XP Pro... Wish I had used at least 10 GB now.

When I installed back in January, I used a 6 GB partition (C: drive) for Win XP (and my 1.5 GB swap file) and had two GB free.

Everything else goes on the (60 GB) D: drive (at least, that was my intention.)

Accidentally, I installed my Office 2003 on the C: drive instead of the D: drive, so that cost about 1 GB. A few other miscellaneous things are costing a few hundred MB.

Unfortunately, every time Windows does its upgrade thing, it costs another couple hundred MB, so now my C: drive free space is below 500 MB.

I had trouble with TweakUI, trying to make sure all users are on the D: drive, not the C: drive... did not work.

Now I am faced with the possible necessity of repartitioning and reloading everything... ugh!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds