Minor Text Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nedlamar, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

So I'm uninstalling some games from my storage/game install drive.

Using Ccleaner to clean up the leftovers.

Without warning or aparent reason my Ccleaner text all goes bold.
    Also it apears that my IE/GoogleChrome/FireFox have all adopted italics and/or bold. As you can see by this post, I have not made this text italic.

I remember this happening once before a looong time ago but can't remember how I fixed it.

Now if I type in Notepad it's perfectly normal, if I type on my g/f's FireFox version of Google Homepage everything is normal, yet still in FF if I go to normal google I get italic bold text.

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Any ideas?

Edit: Just noticed everything on this board is displayed in italic as well, so clearly a display issue but I can't figure out what or why, don't help that I'm sick as a dog and can't think straight lol

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings...

Maybe one or more of your core fonts got corrupted or deleted by mistake - check your Fonts folder, see if any of the standards are missing (Arial, Tahoma, Verdana, etc.)...

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Ned

Give your PC a reboot if not already (as your text for me is OK in this thread).

Or copy Arial.ttf back to the c:\windows\fonts folder as it may have been deleted or removed by accident, attached is a copy off my Win7 PC.

Attached Files:

4. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Nope, tried as suggested and no difference.

It's weird because On google it's simply bold but while typing this in here it's in italic as are all the thread names.

Any other ideas?

Yet I'm now viewing the posts as normal, but that may have already been like that, I don't honestly remember.

5. Caliban

That's just it - the thread names aren't italicized, at least on any of the machines I have, with multiple browsers...

A quick look at this page's source shows Arial and Tahoma (right-click on the page, click 'View Source' or 'View Page Source')...the code is calling for your browser to display text in these fonts, if they're available on your machine...if the fonts in question are present and non-corrupted, there must be something going on with the browser(s)...

Have you tried viewing the pages with stripped-down browsers, with no plug-ins, extensions, themes, etc.?

6. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Here, I've taken a Screen shot of IMDB and Task manager.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/Nedlamar/textissue.jpg

Note on the right hand side the list of "Box Office" and "Comming Soon" stuff , along with the J-Lo story are all in italic.
    then look to my Task Manager and note all the text is Bold.

The task manager issue is the same as my Ccleaner, all bold text, if it isn't bold then it's italic and vise versa.

Just did 2 system restores, one from today and last from 2 days ago, no difference.

Tried removing the font file but am not allowed so can only replace reinstall Arial into fonts folder.

This occured when I had some odd issues with uninstalling games, not able to find them so had to manually which I've done thousands of times.... but once I finished uninstalling properly and manually and cleaned up, I then noticed this issue so it's hard to pin down exactly when it happend.

Here as I type it's in regular italic, but when I post it will show my post normal.

This is possibly one of the oddest things I've seen in PC stuff for a while.

I just really don't fancy a format just to fix a text issue, there must be something.

Isn't there an option to choose what text/font you use? In CP is the fonts list etc but I see no actual options.

Also lets not forget that when I use Notepad it's normal.....BUT when I use word or open office I get the italic text, I click italic and it doesn't change any, just still italic.

It seems to me that the font file is using "bold italic arial" instead of "regular arial"
    But how to change this is escaping me at the moment.

7. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Fixed.

My wonderful better half knows more about text and fonts and the progs that use them, so she opened up open office and started testing the fonts.
    Turns out you Halo, were sort of right, but not just Arial had been damaged, as she explored she found 7 or 8 others that had also been damaged. So she downloaded each of the ones she thought was wrong and reinstalled each of them.

Possibly an easier fix for anyone who has this problem is to reinstall all the original fonts from your windows disc (I'm presuming they are on there, it was kind of an afterthought lol ) or copy it from someone elses PC. It's not finding the download for the files, it's the figuring out what files are damaged that takes the time. So it's probably easier to just replace them all.

@Caliban... Tahoma was one along with Arial, but they were there, just for some reason got corrupted.
    This is possibly when I ran into uninstall issues with Call Of Juarez, the game hadn't been working right anyway since I finished it lol.

We are now operating in normal parameters :-D

thanks guys :)

8. Caliban

Glad you got it, man - good job...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds