Mirror HD with a 2.0 external disk?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pastorricky, Dec 16, 2006.

1. pastorricky

pastorricky Private E-2

i have an Hitachi Mobile Disk (2.0 USB) that i would like to use to mirror my dell hd. is this possible? dell tech told me that it is not possible to copy program files (and other hidden files) to another drive. i would like to use this external drive as a backup to protect all the files on the dell. is this possible?

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

You probably don't want to "mirror" in the "RAID 1 array" sense, but for reliable 100% backup of your hard disks, I recommend either of these fine products.
    Acronis 10.0 found here and
    Norton Ghost 10.0 found here.:)

3. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

err umm huh??

As far as I know (and that's only to the other side of the road:) ) it is possible to backup your entire drive (everything present on the particular drive) and copy it to another device....

There are alot of backup utilities here at MG ....like this
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/DriveImage_XML_d4919.html

I like this one for the ability to transfer from drive to drive (pc hd to usb hd)
    ohh and it is free free free!
    justthinkin:)

4. pastorricky

pastorricky Private E-2

Thank you for the help! I will look into these!
    Rick

Here is part of the chat session with the tech:
    12/16/2006 01:45:40PM Agent (Puneet_134724): "Richard, I want to share one piece of information that program files are files of operating system . We cannot copy that"
    12/16/2006 01:45:50PM Agent (Puneet_134724): "We can copy data files only"
    12/16/2006 01:46:46PM Richard Holbert: "oh. so, it is not possible to have the portable drive look identical to the computer harddrive?"
    12/16/2006 01:48:29PM Agent (Puneet_134724): "Richard, you can copy data on that hard drive. But you cannot copy window files"

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds