Mirrored RAID in XP pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by thomas_nuffan, Feb 25, 2011.

1. thomas_nuffan

thomas_nuffan Private First Class

I want to setup a mirrored image on an XP professional machine. However, I've been reading that this is impossible from an OS standpoint in XP Pro and can only be done through hardware or software.

Looking to go the freeware route on this one. I was looking through some of the freeware backup options on the backup downloads page here but don't know really which one to choose.

I have two SATA drives in identical size with one that currently has the OS installed. The other drive is currently unallocated.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Thomas

What hardware does the PC have and mainly the Motherboard is the main bit, as in make and model as many do come with RAID controllers built that give a Raid array option freely, most are Raid 0 or 1 but as you want Mirroing then its Raid1 and that is generally covered in many Motherboards.

Once you give us the hardware details its normally a case of looking in the BIOS and choosing boot to RAID and then that gives you access to the Raid BIOS settings to allow you to setup the Raid array, and once setup installing Windows is done the normal way.

3. thomas_nuffan

thomas_nuffan Private First Class

Hi David,

I attached a Everest Report to answer your questions; figured it would be much faster (and accurate) than me digging through the system info. This machine is pretty old.

I've never setup a RAID in BIOS before so this should be fun...

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds