Missing Apps And Other Issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenhut, Apr 18, 2017.

1. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

Hi again chaps.
    Apologise in advance for the many points raised
    Recently having issues with the laptop (acer aspire v3 w10 64bit)
    Cortana is missing
    search bar does nothing
    lots of apps not opening
    if i open settings then apps then setting box closes.
    Unable to add another account to the machine.

chkdsk reports nothing amis, however, seatools long scan tool does report some hard disk errors.
    Have tried 2 system restores but both failed to complete
    any ideas where to start solving this ?
    TIA

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I suggest you run sfc /scannow from a 'command prompt/admin'
    right click the bottom left windows start icon > choose command prompt(ADMIN)
    then type: sfc /scannow (must be a space between c and /) and press enter. Wait for it to finish
    When it has completed, whatever it says, and BEFORE you shut the command prompt window copy and paste this:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

The above will generate a text file report to your desktop

Let us know if it find errors.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg...l-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files

Later we may have to go on to use the program Tweaking.com windows repair program

3. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

Thank you for the reply
    I ran the sfc scan as instructed but at the end of scan (100%) the box closed itself down therefore I was unable to paste the command you posted

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The command prompt box has never closed when I run it.
    Did you get to read what it said at the end before it shut down?
    Run the scan again BUT make sure all programs including your web browser are CLOSED when running the scan.

If the command prompt window shuts again, then try it again but this time in SAFE MODE - COMMAND PROMPT
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-10-in-safe-mode-with-command-prompt/

If that fails the next step if my system would be using the Tweaking program I linked you to earlier but in SAFE MODE

5. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

I should have added that to run the sfc scan I had to go via task manager > file > run new task.
    The command prompt(ADMIN) is not there on right click the bottom left windows start icon.
    not sure if this relevant ?

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Yes it is relevant. That means you must now run sfc /scannow in SAFE MODE - COMMAND PROMPT making sure you are signed in to that as an administrator account.

7. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

OK, carried out the scan in safe mode but once again the box closed at the end of the scan.

8. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

OK here is the message the scan returns at 100%

Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation

Also at start up this morning, cortana did appear again, but, after a few mins it locks then disappears.
    I replicated this x3 and same thing.
    I now have zero apps appearing and action centre not opening via notification.

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Hi

Well it looks like there are serious corruptions in your Win 10. I thought earlier that using the Tweaking Program might help, and it is worth giving that a go in Safe Mode.
    However, it looks to me like you might have to go into Recovery Options and do a RESET. In Win 10 there are two Reset opions:
    1. That keeps your personal files and settings
    2. That does complete reset and you lose all personal files and settings
    If choosing option 1 it is still worth backing up to a DVD or USB Pen Drive any personal data you don't want to risk losing
    https://www.howtogeek.com/132428/ev...t-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

10. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

Thank you
    I have ran the Tweaking program in safe mode and after a restart the search function has returned plus some areas of Cortana.
    However there no visible or selectable apps and the action centre refuses to launch.
    Will double check what I have backed up prior to trying a RESET.

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

OK great - I hope the Reset works OK.

12. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

I am a little nervous before proceeding with the reset. I have a few paid for photo editting suites installed and concerned about loosing these and their respective catologues etc
    Is it just a case of copying over the progam file folders etc to ensure a neat reinstall?

13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If you have the LICENSE keys for any paid software (before Reset open them and go to 'about' or 'settings' and look for the License keys) you can simply download them afresh from their website (or MG if they are hosted here) and reinstall them putting in the license key when asked. You should also check your email receipts from when you first purchased them that will have the license key. Last resort you would have to email the Tech Support for those programs and explain the situation and ask for the License keys.
    You cannot copy over program files post-reset. That doesn't work.
    After the reset it will leave a file on your desktop showing all programs that are no longer installed.

After the reset you would be well advised to make a System Image Back up (must be on a USB Pen Drive that has a lot of free space, and a system repair disc that must be on a BLANK writeable DVD.
    On Windows 10 go to Control Panel > System & Security > Backup and restore > on left side menu 'Create a System Image' with a USB Pen drive connected.
    After go back to the same path as above and on left side choose 'Create a system repair disc' making sure you have a BLANK DVD-R in the drive.

14. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Alternatively, you can use a free program such as Aomei Back up or the excellent Acronis True Image which is not free.

15. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

Update,
    Talk about being confused.
    After backing up some files and then doing a restart of the laptop, everything seems to have corrected itself for some unknown(to me) reason.
    All apps apart from one are back, the search box and cortana works and the action centre launches from the notification area.
    I say all back to normal apart from when in settings, select apps and features, the settings box closes itself down.
    I think a reset still ay be prudent, but will hang on until later today and see how stable the system is.

16. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Best to decide if any settings that aren't working are important to you. If they are, a reset is the way

greenhut likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds