Missing atl.dll & no connection to internet?

Discussion in 'Software' started by snowfalldream, Sep 4, 2007.

1. snowfalldream

snowfalldream Private E-2

My husband's laptop (Dell Inspiron w/ Win XP SP2) was connecting to the internet without any problems until now- the first day it would not connect at home (but would at school) and now will not connect at all- doesn't even show that box in the quickstart area with all the networks available to connect to. We have our own secured wireless network at home which he was able to log onto fine with in the past.

He's not the type to download junk to his computer, only updates as they come from Microsoft or AVG, so we don't think it is a virus or anything. We keep getting an error message about the atl.dll file being missing, but we don't know how that got erased since we don't mess with his computer too much.

Any ideas?

2. snowfalldream

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You can try the sfc /scannow,- start, run, type in sfc /scannow, then put your Windows cd in the rom drive.
    If it is not a Windows file, you might need a driver disc for your Netgear, and reinstall, as I never found the dll, in a quick look around.
    Someone else might know what the missing dll is, but it is worth a try.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Thanks Tim- it didn't find it, when I posted there - funny old world

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

NP ....but my question would be why is it missing?

7. snowfalldream

Thanks... I don't have the unzip program that they said I needed, but I can just copy and paste it right into my windows/system folder myself, right?

And yeah... why is it gone? Hmmm....

So should this solve my connection woes?

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Follow the instructions................................read the tutorial.........
    Here you can download atl.dll free of charge. The file is compressed so you need an unzip software in order to use the file. We recommend you to use ExpressZIP. We also recommend you to read the tutorial how to unzip and install the files.
    unzip with your own program, 7zip is a free download from majorgeeks downloads.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry about last post, seems you withdrew the post, where you said...
    Ok... I downloaded the atl.dll file at the site, but now what? It says that it needs to go to the windows\system directory, but I am not sure where to find that (I looked under C:Windows (made the file contents visable) and I could not find a system sub folder.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds